3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 1:26 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison Remote Control

AhmedRashed93

Hello everyone, i am trying to remotely control my Intel Edison using python on my PC, i just want to send anything to Edison using WiFi and upon receive i want Edison to run a python script saved on it.
      for example, i would like to send from my PC using python a MAC Address to Edison and when it receives the address, i would like Edison to run a python script using this address.

Note: i used putty to control Edison when connected serially, i just type: python "file-name" then press enter .. so i would like to do this remotely.
      Is that possible ?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Edison Remote Control
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi AhmedRashed93,

You can access the Edison’s console through SSH. That way you would be able to run the Python scripts remotely. You only need to configure the Wi-Fi connection in your Edison, and then, access the Edison's console through the IP address. 

To configure the Wi-Fi connection you can run the command configure_edison --setup. You have to follow the instructions in order to set a name and password for your Edison, and finally, configure the Wi-Fi connection. Once the Edison is connected and has an IP address, you can open PuTTY in your PC and select "SSH" as connection type instead of "Serial". Type the Edison's IP address and then click on the "Open" button. 

You should be able to see the Edison's terminal and run every command you normally run when you are connected to it serially. The main difference here is that you are accessing the Edison's console remotely.

Regards,
          Diego

• 2. Re: Edison Remote Control
            AhmedRashed93

Thanks Diego,

i used to putty to configure WiFi but is it possible for edison to save the configuration ? as if i want to unplug it and plug it in later, would it connect to the same WiFi automatically ??

• 3. Re: Edison Remote Control
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi AhmedRashed93,

Yes, it should save the configuration and connect automatically to the same network the next time you power it up. You can check what the Edison's IP address is by running the following command: configure_edison --showWiFiIP

Regards,
              Diego