1 2 3 Previous Next 128 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 8:10 AM by allan_intel

Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox

sweckform2

Hi,

I am experiencing random graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox.

The issue:

Whenever I minimize Firefox and restore it, the Firefox window appears garbled and text appears to be illegible. Moving the mouse cursor over the affected areas, seems to bring the missing parts of the window into view.

Minimizing, maximizing, or resizing Firefox appears to correct the issue (until I minimize Firefox again and the issue reappears).

While this is annoying and impedes productivity, the graphics corruption is limited only to Firefox. However, since that is my main web browser, I would like to get the issue fixed asap.

Points to observe:

• My laptop has an Intel HD 530 graphics subsystem (running on an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor)
      • The laptop also has a dedicated nVidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
      • I am running Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
      • The issue occurs only in Mozilla Firefox
      • Mozilla does not list this as a known bug in their repository (as far as I can tell, I am the only one experiencing this issue)
      • The corruption persists even after restarting the laptop or starting the machine from cold boot
      • The issue occurs at random
      • I have the latest version of Firefox (with all plugins updated)
      • Creating a new Firefox profile (even with no add-ons installed) will not solve the corruption issue
      • I have 2 versions of Microsoft Direct X installed (Direct X 12 and 9.0c for playing older games) but the issue persisted even before I installed version 9.0c
      • I am running version 20.19.15.4360 of the Intel HD Graphics Driver (I have not updated the drivers nor have I tried any other version yet)
      • I experienced a graphics corruption while typing this post and have attached a screenshot below to demonstrate my issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

graphics.corruption.screenshot.jpg

(in the above screenshot, the complete top part is missing. If I were to move the mouse cursor over the affected areas, then some missing parts will reappear. Minimizing, maximizing, and resizing Firefox will also correct the issue temporarily)

• 1. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
          Stefan3D

@

Looks like the same issue as mentioned here: intel hd graphics 520 - firefox white screen

Issue seems to have gone with driver 20.19.15.4416, i keep an eye on that...

Otherwise you can force Firefox (+ plugin-container) to use NVIDIA in its control panel

• 2. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Production driver version 4380 might help on this matter, please try it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Or, you can follow Stefan3D recommendations.

Allan. 

• 3. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
              FiZi

The latest beta drivers have not helped in my situation:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Launch Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer and attempt to view a website

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
              If you can offer a % rate please do.

Only sometimes. Say 50% at this point.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo T460S

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
              ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

N/A

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
              LFP
              = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
              EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Do not recall if the issue occurs when using only my laptop monitor. I will double check next time I undock it.

Occurs 50% of the time using only my three external monitors:

EFP - Dell 1907FP (connected via StarTech MSTMDP123DP and DisplayPort)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB RAM, 512MB Dedicated to IGP

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
              ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Using a Mini-DP to DP Adapter (StarTech MSTMDP123DP) to connect three external monitors.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_223317AA&REV_07

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&SUBSYS_223317AA

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1916&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Enterprise - Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164)

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Unable to find anything listed "Video BIOS". Found something called "Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) Version: 9.0.1037"

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Firefox 45.0.1, Internet Explorer 11, Opera 36.0.2130.46

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Extended

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1280x1024@60Hz for all three monitors

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
              A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Launch one of the browsers
              2. Try to use it
              3. See display corruption
              4. Resize window a few times or close and re-launch browser and corruption goes away until next time

Untitled.png

• 4. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                Virrhe

I figured out yesterday that disabling hardware acceleration in the browser stops the graphics corruptions in my system (Core i3-6100, Asus H110I-PLUS). This isn't a perfect solution since it effects performance, but at least it makes the computer usable until hopefully Intel comes up with a fix.

Maybe it might help in your situation as well?

• 5. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                  Intel Corporation

I have not been able to replicate this matter. I would recommend contacting Asus for any customized graphics driver or wait for Intel to release new drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Allan. 

• 6. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                    Virrhe

Allan, do you mean that you could use hardware acceleration with other motherboards, or do you actually have a H110I-PLUS available and could use it there, too?

If the latter, could you please tell me the display driver and BIOS versions and BIOS settings you used to help me pinpoint the problem?

Anyway, not having the hardware acceleration available is not a big problem for me - not having the glitches now is so much better. The occasional display driver crashes that still happen are still an issue. I put an event log of those in my own recent post update (not sure if it's OK to link here since this is not my discussion).

Asus help desk is saying that they are not responsible if Intel drivers are not working properly with Windows 10, and that they are refusing warranty since the problems are not caused by them.

• 7. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                      Intel Corporation

I do not have same motherboard model, I have tested the graphics controller Intel® HD Graphics 530 but I do not see any graphics issues with Firefox while using the latest video drivers provided by Intel. 
                      Does this happen with Edge, Chrome, Opera, etc?

Allan. 

• 8. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                        FiZi

I get it in Firefox and Internet Explorer 11.

Don't use Edge and haven't noticed it in Opera.

I'm running driver 20.19.15.4404

• 9. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                          sweckform2

Thanks for the reply Stefan3D.

I did check Mozilla's Bug Repository and the terms "graphics corruption" and "display corruption" do not show up with the "Intel HD 530" graphics chip under any flags. I also spoke with a debugger on Mozilla's Dev Team and they also do not acknowledge any known issues with this chip.

I have not encountered this type of corruption before on other laptop's and PCs that had different graphics chips, so I'm at a loss to say whether it is a bug in Firefox or with the new Intel Skylake Processors or if the fault lies with the Intel HD 530 chipset.

• 10. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                            sweckform2

Thanks for providing the new drivers Allan.

I will install, test, and report back here, when feasible.

• 11. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                              sweckform2

Interestingly, the corruption in my version of Firefox occurs with white boxes (or blank spaces, if you will) but yours seems to show black boxes. It could be due to the differences in the Intel chips "Intel HD 520 and Intel H 530".

Maybe they both have different rendering algorithms that result in building images differently...

• 12. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                                FiZi

I'm also using DisplayPort to drive 3 monitors and not using my laptops native panel.

I've rolled back to the production driver 20.19.15.4380 to see if the issue persists.

• 13. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                                  sweckform2

Hi Virrhe,

Thanks for your suggestion. I turned off the "Use hardware acceleration when available" option in Firefox and have not experienced any graphics corruption since then.

On the downside, performance when browsing webpages with videos (YouTube!), and CSS content (almost all websites I know of), and when playing in browser games and animated content (Adobe Flash , HTML5, VP9, and H264/H265 based content) has taken a major hit. I noticed a nearly 40% decrease in speed with this setting turned off (but have not had any graphics corruption since it has been).

I am going to try the new Intel Drivers that Allan suggested (when time permits) and see if that corrects my issue.

• 14. Re: Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox
                                    FiZi

Installed 20.19.15.4380, Rebooted, Logged in, ran Firefox, Edge and IE11 and went to Google.ca

Results:

IE-FF-Edge.png

1 2 3 Previous Next