I mean, isn't it supposed to idle at 1.8 Ghz, and increase the frequency up to 2.9 GHz during load?
I think by default both the BIOS and Windows are set for Performance mode and this seems to keep the CPU on Turbo boost.
That is not what I expected either - I assumed like you it would run at stock speed and then speed boost when needed.
I have left the BIOS as is and changed the Windows setting to max 99% CPU and this keeps it running at around 1.8. When I need it I change the power profile so max is 100% and this is runs like yours is.
I have not tried it but I think the "fix" you are looking for lies in changing the BIOS to something like Balanced mode - let us know how you get on.
Yeah, there's definitely an issue.
When I'm changing the maximum processor state to 99%, the frequency immediately drops to 1.67 Ghz. When it's changed to 100% again, the frequency increases to 2.75 Ghz. It appears to be unaffected by the minimum processor state setting.
I wonder if it'll boost the frequency up to 2.9 Ghz during heavy load, because it seems to be running stable at 2.75 Ghz or 1.67 Ghz, depending on the maximum processor state setting... In other words, turbo boost doesn't seem to be working. I've tried starting several programs at once, with utilization close to 80%, but the processor frequency doesn't change at all.
I'm expecting this issue to reduce the longevity of the system. I won't let the system run at 1.67 Ghz.
Changing power settings in the BIOS doesn't make any difference. It's controlled by Windows' power settings. I tried balanced mode.
Btw: 2.9 Ghz only at one core… as soon as two cores are use then you will have at max ~2.7
Hi I am running BIOS 0039 and according to Task Manager my CPU has a max of 1.8 GHz and its running coinsistently at 2.74/2.75.
Edited to add: According to my power consumption meter on the wall socket the NUC is running using between 15 and 29 watts (240 volts) without any heavy processing - ie Word, Firefox,Outlook running.
This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation
I see in your screenshot it's not only CPU, somethings eating a lot of Memory, there's disk I/O on the OS disk and network I/O all at the same time. Try to identify the consumer processes, looks not normal to me unless you are using a bittorrent client or something. Also make sure you have no "phone home" trojan or other malicious crapware on your NUC.
Thanks for your comments. The NUC was freshly set up from new last Saturday and has Kaspersky AV running. I have checked the stats again with no foreground programmes running except Task Manager and found that with just 2% CPU utilisation it is running at 2.79 GHz and although there are 79 processes running when I look at the activity on these there is just one or two using the CPU. I have ordered them by size and give a couple of shots below (obviously I cannot see the CPU speed at the same time as the processes, hence the slight variation (2% and 3%)). Any ideas where else I can look if the processes aren't showing?
Checking previous posts I have taken a look at the Windows power management and see that reducing it to 99% has teh immediate effect of reducing speed to below 1.8 GHz, set it back to 100% and up it goes to around 2.75 GHz. Now I don't know a great deal about thes ethings but might it be that CPUs running at 156% above their usual steady rate is causing the issues over WHEA failures?
What would you suggest? Switching the Windows power down to 99% to preserve the CPU, or leaving things running at 2.75 GHz?
The response to setting max processor state to 100% in "high performance" power setting looks a bit odd/non-intuitive to me as well.
In "balanced" mode:
Min processor state =5%, Max =100%, causes processor speed to drop to ~700MHz on idle, much higher when busy.
Min processor state =100%, Max =100%, causes speed to stabilise at ~1.7GHz on idle, again much higher when busy.
In "high performance" mode:
Min processor state =5%, Max =99%, processor speed goes to ~1.7GHz on idle, much higher when busy.
Min processor state =99%, Max =99%, processor speed goes to ~1.7GHz on idle, much higher when busy.
However, for any Min processor state, as soon as you set Max =100%, processor locks onto ~2.8GHz and stays there.
From my quick playing it looks as if my NUC now runs a fair bit cooler now it's not locked onto max-speed.
I have experimented further and it seems to revolve around my use of the Magician software that goes with the Samsung SSD (m.2) that I am using. If I use the OS Optomisation element it adjusts my Windows configuration and even if I go into Contol Panel/Power Options/Change Plan Settings/Advanced options and adjust the Min and Max Power States figures in Processor Power Management to be the same as the Balance (Recommended) values it still suns around 2.75GHz constantly. In fact if I set all the parameters in the Samsung profile the same as the Balanced profile it doesn't reduce the processor usage. I conclude that the settings in the Samsung Magician profile affect more than just the settings in the Power Plan within Windows 10 but I don't know what else it affects.
I have now adopted the Balanced settings but switched of the 'Turn off Hard Disk' option and I am running at various speeds between 0.75 and 2.79 GHz, as you might expect. I assume that my SSD will not now be running at optimum speed.
In fact just checked the benchmarking in Magician and found that performance is generally unchanged, some parameters are slightly up and some slightly down on previous performance.
I don't have Magician installed but I get the same odd/non-intuitive behaviour. I'm not sure why but on mine, Min/Max processor states don't seem to function the same in "high performance" mode as in "balanced" mode.
In “high performance” mode, it does seem very odd that setting maximum processor speed to 100% permanently ramps up the minimum speed to the max turbo frequency (which is only supposed to be used temporarily).