Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Windows 10 Driver for Clarkdale (Intel Core i3 530)

DDary
Novice

I have a desktop PC with a Clarkdale processor. (Old, I know but it serves its purpose.) I recently upgraded it to Windows 10 and it's been having BSOD episodes. I visited Microsoft TechNet and was advised to use the driver verifier, which revealed that the graphics driver is causing the BSODs. The computer is using the driver provided by Microsoft, which is hopelessly out of date. Obviously it's not a Windows 10 driver.

When I originally installed Windows 10, I tried to find a newer driver, but I was not successful. I thought I would leave well alone. However, the driver is causing problems so I need to update it. Please advise where I can get a newer driver.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DDary
Novice

Here is what I found on the driver download website:

You can see that there apparently are no windows 10 drivers for intel HD graphics for core processors. This is a problem. It's well known that Microsoft is forcing users of Windows 7, Vista, 8 and 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10. People are not being given a choice. However, Microsoft is clearly doing what's good for them, not what's good for the users, by upgrading PCs using obsolete drivers. I hope Intel will provide updated drivers to uses and Microsoft to avoid issues such as what I'm experiencing on my computer, which is frequent BSOD episodes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, darylm:

I regret to inform you that as of now the drivers available for these products, would be available via windows updates only.

I cannot assure Intel is going to release newer drivers to support Windows 10* on this platform.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Windows update is providing the 2012 dated driver, which is obviously obsolete. This response isn't acceptable. Surely there is a newer driver than 2012.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, darylm:

I regret to be the one with bad news but the Intel® HD Graphics for first generation core processors does not have driver support for Windows® 10.

Intel does not have plans to develop drivers for Windows® 10 for that graphics controller.

Please refer to the list of supported operating systems here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

With all due respect, this is sh*t support. Based on the date of the driver, 11/26/2012, it's probably a windows 8 driver. Even if it's not optimal, it should work with Windows 10, but it clearly doesn't. Intel knows d*mn well that Microsoft is ramming Windows 10 down the throats of its users. The least thing Intel should be doing is providing a token level of support for this process. Really, how much effort would it be to provide a certified driver? I'm disgusted that you are abandoning your users, the people who paid for your products.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

In the link you provided, Intel claims the following: "Windows* 8 drivers for first generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel® Pentium® Processors, and Intel® Celeron® Processors (formerly codenamed Arrandale and Clarkdale) with Intel® HD Graphics support legacy Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.1 and are included in the Windows 8 installation build and on Windows Update. Drivers for these platforms are not available for download on the Intel website."

On the Intel driver download website, I found the following driver: "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, Windows 7*, Windows Vista* (exe)".

Here is the readme:

* Production Version Releases

* Microsoft Windows Vista*

* Microsoft Windows* 7

* Microsoft Windows* Embedded Standard 7(1)

* (1)These operating systems supported for embedded designs and usage

* models only.

* Package: 187896

* Graphics: 8.15.10.2993

* Display Audio Driver: 6.14.0.3086

* February 8, 2013

* NOTE: This document refers to systems containing the

* following Intel(R) processors:

* Intel® Core™ i3 Mobile Processor

* Intel® Core™ i3 Processor

* Intel® Core™ i5 Mobile Processor

* Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

* Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile Processor

* Intel® Celeron® Processors P4000/U3000 Series

* Intel® Pentium® Processors G6000/P6000/U5000 Series

* Installation Information

* This document makes references to products developed by

* Intel. There are some restrictions on how these products

* may be used, and what information may be disclosed to

* others. Please read the Disclaimer section and contact

* your Intel field representative if you would like more

* information.

Based on the readme, the driver being provided by Microsoft is a lower version and earlier release date, clearly NOT a windows 8 driver. Intel made the above commitment to provide the driver, so WHERE IS IT?!?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, darylm:

As per the information provided, the drivers "are included in the Windows 8 installation build and on Windows Update. Drivers for these platforms are not available for download on the Intel website."

You are currently using Windows 10* we cannot say this is going to work the same for this version of windows, since the statement only refers to Windows 8*.

Installing windows updates would be the way to get drivers on this system.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Did you read what I said?!? It's quite conclusive based on the date and version that the driver that was provided by Windows update is a windows vista/ 7 driver. Either Intel did not provide the supposed windows 8 drivers to Microsoft of Microsoft is not providing them on Windows update. If these drivers exist, please make them available on the intel driver download website.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, darylm:

I would like to recommend you to contact Microsoft to check if they have a generic driver that is compatible with your device and can work on Windows 10*.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us?auth=1 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us?auth=1

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, darylm:

I was checking this thread, and I would like to check if newer drivers were available from Microsoft's side.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
BNot1
Beginner

Well clearly fuck you Intel. This the reason I switched to AMD, they support much older hardware. You can't just drop support like this for hardware that's really not old. You know exactly how Windows 10 is being forced to everyone and it wouldn't be much work to provide a new driver for for first gen Intel Core HD graphics. You think people will buy new hardware? They will, but never Intel again. Shame on you for these disgusting methods.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

I've been away. I posted about this issue on TechNet and there is no answer. No one from Microsoft had anything to say. There is clearly a gap between what Intel claims and what actually is happening with this processor. Windows update is offering a very old windows 7 driver for the Clarkdale processor. It's not a surprise that it doesn't work properly. Intel claims a windows 8 driver was provided to Microsoft. Either that's not true or Microsoft did not put the driver into windows update or windows update is not offering the driver due to a bug or some other reason. I reported this to Intel support. They first told me too bad, the processor is not supported. When I quoted Intel's own words that there supposedly is a windows 8 driver, they are looking into it. If there actually is a windows 8 driver, Intel should supply it to users via the driver download website or the driver update utility. How hard can that be? If there is not a driver, then Intel is contradicting its own words and one should be developed. I agree with BugM. This sort of issue is typical of big companies like Intel and Microsoft.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Just to provide a final update on this issue, I reported it to Intel, quoting their own support information which states that a windows 8 driver is available for the Clarkdale processor. They said they would look into the issue, but there was no response. The computer was crashing at least a couple of times a week, sometimes multiple times per day. I knew it was a matter of time before the computer got f*cked up, which it finally did. Some critical OS files got corrupted and systemfilechecker (SFC) could not fix the problem. I wasn't going to reinstall the OS only to have it happen again, so I purchased a new mainboard with an AMD processor. Intel, you gave me no choice. You screwed me over. All I can do is take my money elsewhere, which I did.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi darylm

I've reviewed the thread and first & foremost apologize for me dropping the ball on a timely response.

Unfortunately I don't have better news to offer you, though I will speak to the points you raised. I see the verbiage is not clear in the ReadMe you quoted above, it should instead state 'Windows* 8 compatibility mode drivers...'

Some background, when Windows 8 came out, regardless that it was not to be officially supported by Intel on 1st or 2nd generation platforms, Microsoft required Intel provide them with at the least a baseline graphics driver to include in their OS so graphics was present upon unbundle. They call these 'inbox drivers'. Officially, we start Windows 8 support with 3rd Generation platforms, which means we were not building Win8 drivers for 1st or 2nd Gen, though again, MSFT required an 'inbox' driver, so a Windows 7 driver was provided to them to use instead. In their logic it's better to allow users to have a compatibility driver (even if it is minimally functional) than no option to install the OS with graphics at all, I see this can lead to some confusion.

I hope this can clear up some of the confusion.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Well, it's not helpful. It reflects on exactly why so many users are disgusted with the way Intel and Microsoft (and others) hide behind the fine print to treat users like garbage. Microsoft forced the update on my computer and provided a windows 7 driver which no reasonable person could claim is even minimally functional since it causes BSOD. My only recourse was to replace the processor and along with it, the mainboard. Obviously since Intel caused me to spend money to replace a perfectly functional processor and mainboard, I wasn't going to purchase another Intel product. I purchased an AMD processor. The next processor I purchase will probably also be AMD. Had Intel resolved this issue by providing a functional driver, I would have purchased another Intel product next time. This is my payback to Intel. Ain't karma a b*tch.

0 Kudos