4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 1:46 AM by zaava1

New Motherboard Won't Detect New SATA HDD

zaava1

Upgrading a computer with new mbd D945PLnm and new WD 320Gb SATA HDD (Caviar Blue II).  The Mbd doesn't detect SATA HD. I've tried ea of the 4 SATA ports but none work. Do I need to add drivers? Upgrade the Bios? I also cannot boot off old IDE HDD because Windows crashes and won't restore. The blue screen says new hardware must be removed. Get same msg. when I try to run Windows XP CD as new install.  I can boot up with an old Win 98 floppy and I can boot from the CD drive.  The disks that came with the mbd will only run in Windows.  That does me a lot of good.  Any suggestions??

• 1. Re: New Motherboard Won't Detect New SATA HDD
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Have you initialised the disk? is it recognised in another system? have you tried SATA I mode instead of SATA II? And what do you have SATA set as in BIOS?

• 2. Re: New Motherboard Won't Detect New SATA HDD
            zaava1

I cannot install the disk because it will only run in Windows mode. My old IDE drive will not boot up and a Win XP disk will not install on my old drive because it says new hardware has been added that will "damage" the computer. I get the dreaded blue screen.  I do not see a place to change the SATA configure in the BIOS.  What is it under?  I only saw that it sees 4 SATA ports and they all appear empty.

• 3. Re: New Motherboard Won't Detect New SATA HDD
              zaava1

I just reread your msg and realized you were asking if I had initialized the new WD SATA drive.  I am unable to initialize it because the motherboard doesn't see it.  I have other computers I can use for testing but none of them have SATA ports so I can't test the HDD.

• 4. Re: New Motherboard Won't Detect New SATA HDD
                zaava1

I posted this a year ago and I don't remember how the problem was resolved. However the mbd is working great.  It sees all the HDD's, both SATA and IDE. Perhaps I was able to change the SATA II to SATA I. I'm so sorry Intel took so long to ask me for the resolution because I forgot all about my inquiry after I got everything running. I know it only was a few days later than my inquiry. I do think Intel shd provide a CD that will talk to the mbd without using Windows.