1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 12:03 PM by PaulaK

Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2

PaulaK

Hi Community,

I've created an image for galileo gen 2 with BSP Sources for Intel Quark 1.2.1 (as far as I'm concern is the most recent BSP on Intel's site), and tried to boot it for the first time. The booting process hangs on this lines: (full boot message is attached)

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10be, size=0x23ba00]

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d526]

I saw a similar problem on this thread Linux hanging at Initrd (BSP 1.0) , the suggested solution was to update the board's firmware. I already updated both boards that I tested it to firmware 1.0.4.

My 8GB microsd directory looks like this:

boot -> grub -> grub.conf (attached in post)

bootia32.efi (tried with it and without...same output)    

grub.efi (tried with it and without...same output)    

image-full-quark.ext3

bzImage

core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

A similar question was posted last week. In the thread, the user has also made a custom image based on the newest BSP and also has problems at boot. The solution was to configure the grub menu file correctly.

Take a look at https://communities.intel.com/message/384205#384205

Sergio

• 2. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
            PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I saw this post earlier today and my grub.conf file looks exactly the same as posted. Do you have any other suggestion?

Best,
            Paula

• 3. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
              Intel Corporation

Did you see any errors while building the image, if so, which ones? What sections on the BSP did you follow? If you notice section 5 there’s a section related to building the grub, was this section completed successfully?

Sergio

• 4. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I used BSP 1.2.1 following this guide Intel Galileo - Building Linux Image - Malinov Family Web Presence. I had to modify the bblayers.conf file to include meta's related to the board and iot-devkit. I saved my current session when I build the image (attached).

I did get some errors but I solved them editing local.conf and bblayers.conf files. The only step I executed different from the tutorial was running bitbake -c fetchall image-full and bitbake -f -c deploy image-full before running bitbake image-full

Should I try to recompile the kernel using BSP guide? And if so, is section 5 necessary to the build?

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Paula

• 5. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                  Intel Corporation

Yes, the recommended thing to do when building a custom image is to follow the guidelines of the BSP. You can look at the Quark BSP 1.2.1 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-bsp-build-sw-rel-user-guide.html for the steps to build the Galileo image. Section 5 is not always necessary, I asked in case you followed those steps and made changes. In case you didn’t just try again but using the Quark BSP.

Let us know your results.

Sergio

• 6. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                    PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I tried following the BSP tutorial but got an error as soon as I ran bitbake command.

ERROR: Layer 'networking-layer' depends on layer 'meta-python', but this layer is not enabled in your configuration

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

I did not find meta-python in my folder.... What should I do?

Thanks for your patience

• 7. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                      Intel Corporation

What OS are you using to build the image? Look at section 1.3.1 of http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#detailed-supported-distros and make sure you’re building on a supported distribution.

Sergio

• 8. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                        PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I build the image using Ubuntu 15.04.

About the meta-python problem, I git clone it to the correct directory and add it to my conf/bblayers.conf file (along with meta-oe). My build finished with 14 warnings, but no errors. I'll copy the image files to a microsd and test it later.

One strange thing that happens a lot, is when I try to cp the boot directory to my sdcard the subfolder (grub) does not persist after I eject and reconnect the card.  Is this normal? Or a sign that something went wrong?

Thanks.

Paula

• 9. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                          PaulaK

UPDATE

I booted my galileo gen 2 and I got grub prompt with the message Error 15: File not found. I really don`t know what to do...I've followed the steps on BSP guide and all needed files are in the correct place on my sdcard.

Files on my sdcard:

- boot (directory)  -> /boot/grub/grub.conf

- bzImage.bin

- grub.efi

- image-full-quark.ext3

- core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

My grub.conf, contains:

default 2

timeout 5

color white/blue white/cyan

title Quark X1000 kernel-SPI initrd-SPI IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU

kernel --spi root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw

initrd --spi

title Quark X1000 kernel-MassStorage iot-devkit on SD IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5

title Quark X1000 kernel-MassStorage initrd-MassStorage RootFS-MassStorage IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5 rootimage=image-full-quark.ext3

initrd /core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

Please help

• 10. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                            PaulaK

UPDATE 2

I changed bzImage.bin (as recommended in BSP guide) to bzImage .... now it doesn't throw Error 15. But now I'm back to my original problem, boot hanging on here:

[Linux-EFI, setup=0x10be, size=0x23b750]

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d0a3]

If I wait a few seconds the first time this message appears, I get the following:

Reset due to access violation: 'IMR' . . .

What should I do?

Thanks for all your help

• 11. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                              Intel Corporation

Take a look at this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/59552 . It describes the same issue you’re having and there’s a solution posted to apply a patch for the BSP. Follow the suggestions on the thread and let me know your results.

Sergio

• 12. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                                PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I booted the image again and it doesn't throw the IMR violation message. Now I'm just getting the original error, but in the build following BSP guide.

[Initrd, addr=0x620000, size=0x34d0a3]

I checked the patch, shell script is coded for meta-clanton-v1.0.1 . I could adapt it (and probably will), but I don't know if is gonna help since I'm not getting the IMR error anymore.

Do you think this all could be related to my building machine being Ubuntu 15.04 (even the meta-python layer problem...solved with some git clones)?

Again, thank you so much for your time

• 13. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                                  Intel Corporation

Yes, it might be related. Can you try to build using a different build machine from the list of supported Linux distributions from http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#detailed-supported-distros?
                                  There’s a note in the BSP that says “This release has been tested with Debian* Linux* 7.0 (Wheezy), so if possible, try with this approach and let me know your results.

Sergio

• 14. Re: Hangs on boot process - Galileo Gen 2
                                    PaulaK

Hi Sergio,

I tried to rebuild in a Debian Wheezy machine and still got the warning just because I was using an updated version of Wheezy (7.1). After a few seconds bitbake throwed a fatal error (I was following the BSP guide), could not proceed with the build.

The strange thing is my images freezes at the same point, following or not the BSP guide.

[Initrd, addr=0xd620000, size=0x34d0a3]

I'll attempt later this week to rebuild using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit (as it seems many people have succeeded on this machine), do you think I'll have problems with it using BSP version 1.2.1 ?

Thank you,

Paula

1 2 Previous Next