10 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 10:07 AM by Intel Corporation

WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related

rado77

Hi guys,

so after today's hard googling I found some infos where WHEA issue with Skylake CPUs were related to CPU directly. As my suggestions here - for a while helps to poeple disabling 1 CPU core. By disabling 1 core system doesn't show WHEA error for some "unknown" time. User is also able to install new OS without freezings, bluescreens and so on. But this solution is only temporary.

But - people solved WHEA error by replacing CPU. We (NUC-guys) cannot do it because CPU is soldered on motherboard. But it really looks that WHEA is caused by some CPU internal damage, but not by any component on motherboard

• 1. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
          tpetrilli

Wow !!!

If this is the case, this is huge .....

Was the info CPU specific or did it refer to i3's and i5's ?

We really need INTEL to comment on this !!

What was the source of the info Rado?

• 2. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
            rado77

I found that info on 2 or 3 different forums. And WHEA was allways solved by replacing CPU Skylake- desktop processors. And also by my recommendation - when 1 or 2 WHEA-guys disabled 2nd core in BIOS, their NUC was working without WHEA error next 2-3 days. After that time the same issue so it affects also 1st core

But the question is: what damaged CPU? CPU itself? Or something outside CPU = something on motherboard? So what's bad? Please vote :-)

1, CPU

2, CPU and something on MB

3, something on MB

:-)

• 3. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
              hausmeister99

hehehe, you forgot:

4. something in front of the NUC

no, just a joke, nice find out... because of 2./3. if the one who have to replace the CPU uses different motherboards, then we could be sure it's 1.

• 4. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                rado77

Yes, they had different MBs. I don't know exact manufacturers, but in 1 case it was Gigabyte. But I don't think it's directly Skylake's problem...those were desktop CPUs, not mobile CPUs. I think that these CPUs are used in many notebooks without problem. So it must be problem on board, but it probably destroy also CPU (because it worked ok few days on 1 core...)

So situation is like this:

1, something broke on motherboard

2, it destroys something in CPU

3, CPU displays WHEA error (not because damaged component on board, but because of own internal damage)

*that component on motherboard maybe isn't damaged completely, it can be damaged only partialy. And I have feeling that it have something to do with voltage/powering core(s), Maybe when it fails, it sends too high voltage to CPU and burn something inside CPU... but this is really question for Intel

• 5. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                  hausmeister99

Sorry, I’m not sure about this… I have to ask what’s about some issue at some Skylake CPU like this http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html (btw: I done the test for 3 hours at my NUC6i5 without any problem)… I don’t know about which kind of Skylake CPU you're talking at post #1 (it doesn’t sounds like NB soc’s if you talk about MB from Gigabyte at post #4)… maybe Intel have a problem with 14-nm-FinFET ? It wouldn’t be the first CPU from Intel with problems…

e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

or chip-set http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-s-defective-Sandy-Bridge-Chipsets-Status-Report.45596.0.html

and one more argument is, that they replaced the CPU and everything is fine (of course you could be right and a problem “outside” of the CPU, after a while, damage the CPU (like a bad chip-set ))…

• 6. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                    rado77

But that's different problem. All Skylakes had problem with that bug. I ran Prime95 long time and without issue. That's other thing that WHEA issue. I think we have solved it in some of BIOS-es (I don;t know in which). I wrote that people solved WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR boot loop by replacing CPU. If they received WHEA again after some time...I don't know. Maybe yes

• 7. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                      provo44

Chip failure suicide or murder?  Chip or no some component is being murdered.

• 8. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                        cvare

Hi all,

Intel is actively investigating the “WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR” issue reported on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I3SYH, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I3SYK, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYH, and Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYK products. We have replicated the issue with BIOS 0039. We do not currently have a workaround for this issue.

Customers who see this error repeatedly on this product are encouraged to contact Intel Customer Support. We will provide an additional update by Friday, April 8, or sooner if relevant information becomes available.

• 9. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                          cvare

Intel continues to actively investigate the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" issue reported by end users on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I3SYH, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I3SYK, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYH, and Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYK products.

Intel has an internal task force diligently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible and deliver a robust solution for affected users.  Intel does not currently have a workaround for this issue. 

Intel confirms the issue currently being investigated is not corrected by any current BIOS, limiting C-states, updating the operating system software, or replacing peripheral components.

Intel appreciates the patience exhibited by affected users while we work to resolve this difficult issue.  Users who see this error repeatedly on this product are encouraged to contact Intel Customer Support for assistance.

Intel will provide another update by Friday April 15, or sooner if relevant information becomes available.

• 10. Re: WHEA error - looks it's CPU-related
                            Intel Corporation
                            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi All,

Whea issue is already resolved; it is necessary to update the BIOS to version 42. .

Drivers & Software
                            https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Intel is providing further assistance for this issue through the contact center.
                            http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Regards,
                            Mike C