Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Defective Intel HD 530 Display Adapter Card on New Laptop???

LKrau
Beginner

Just spent many hours migrating from old laptop to a brand new one. The final thing I wanted to do was an HDMI hook up to an external monitor. The monitor wasn't being recognized no matter what I tried. It had worked fine with my old laptop. A tech support guy took over my new laptop via remote control, did all kinds of things including BIOS update and driver uninstall/reinstall (he said the driver would not reinstall because the HD 530 card was not recognized), and concluded that the HD 530 card was defective and that I needed to get a warranty replacement of the new laptop. I'm waiting for delivery of the replacement and thinking about the many hours it'll take to do another migration. In the meantime, I decided to do some trouble-shooting myself. I replaced the HDMI cable, which was new, with an old one I had, and was surprised to see the external monitor come to life. It's working just fine. The device manager doesn't indicate a problem with the HD 530. Below is the graphics report. I'm thinking that the HD 530 card is not defective. Seeking expert opinion.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Report Date: Saturday, April 02, 2016

Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 3:04:03 PM

Driver Version: 20.19.15.4360

Operating System: Windows* 7 Professional (6.1.7601)

Default Language: English (United States)

Physical Memory: 12124 MB

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 191B

Device Revision: 06

Video BIOS: 1024.0

Current Resolution: 1360 x 768

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

Processor Speed: 2592 MHz

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Shader Version: 5.0

OpenGL* Version: 4.4

OpenCL* Version: 2.0

* Microsoft DirectX* *

Runtime Version: 11.0

Hardware-Supported Version: 11.0

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Displays: 1

* Digital Television *

Display Type: Digital

DDC2 Protocol: Supported

Gamma: 2.2

Connector Type: HDMI

Device Type: Digital Television

Maximum Image Size

Horizontal Size: 22.83 inches

Vertical Size: 12.6 inches

Supported Modes

640 x 480 (60p Hz)

640 x 480 (72p Hz)

640 x 480 (75p Hz)

720 x 400 (70p Hz)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
LKrau
Beginner

Thanks, Allen.

I read the Notes for ver 4404 and it does appear to address issues I experienced for my particular laptop's hardware. I've done quite a bit of messing around to get a rather stable way to use my external monitor and also its audio, with laptop lid closed. I don't shut off the laptop, otherwise on boot up it fails to detect the external monitor. So I just shut off the external monitor and let the laptop go into a time-out sleep. And I wake it up by powering the monitor and clicking the mouse.

I cancelled the order for the replacement laptop today, as I'm convinced that I don't have a bad HD 530 graphics card.

I'm a little hesitant to participate in a beta test, much as I'd like to get all of this working as it should. But, I may do so, if I can call someone at Intel if support is needed or to get me back to where I was.

Can you tell me when this version is likely to be through with beta testing?.

Len

0 Kudos
LKrau
Beginner

Allan,

I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility and got the result below. Do you think there's much risk in going ahead with the 4404 install? It's rather evident that the mfgr isn't up to date on driver updates.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have tried beta driver on several systems and did not experience issues. Driver 4404 will address issues linked on the driver release notes.

Allan.
0 Kudos