5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 10:39 AM by ivanu_intel

HDMI issues

NPCO543

I have two original Intel Compute sticks, both running Windows 10, and I'm having display and audio issues with any LCD TV I try to use:

Issue 1 - I can't set the display resolution to the TV's native of 1366 x 768.  I only get options for 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080.  When attached to a standard computer monitor, I get and can set the resolution to 1366 x 768.  And when attached to the TV through an HDMI to VGA adapter, I can set 1366 x 768, but directly to the TV, that resolution option disappears. 

Issue 2 - I get no audio to the TV through HDMI.  Again, in a computer monitor with built-in speakers, audio comes in fine.  But no TV I've tried works.

This is really frustrating for a product that's designed specifically to be attached to standard HDMI displays that it has so much trouble connecting to standard HDMI displays outside dedicated computer monitors.

Please help, I've spent literally days trying to figure this out with no success.

• 1. Re: HDMI issues
          ivanu_intel

Hello NPCO543,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Could you please provide us with the Intel® Compute Stick model?

We have several models and I’m not sure which one you have.

What is your TV model?

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 2. Re: HDMI issues
            NPCO543

Thanks for the reply.  The Compute sticks are the first generation Windows versions: BOXSTCK1A32WF

And the TV models are:
            Samsung LN-S2341W
            Philips 32PFL3506/F7

When attached, any other computer can set the resolution to 1366 x 768 and send audio through the HDMI connection.  When attached through a HDMI VGA adapter, the compute sticks can set the resolution to 1366 x 768 (on the Samsung at least, the Philips doesn't have a VGA port), so the graphics on the device can support it.  But attached directly, the only selectable resolutions are 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080, and no audio comes through. 

Thanks for you efforts, these sticks are perfect for streaming media to standard TVs... as long as they can set the correct resolutions.

• 3. Re: HDMI issues
              ivanu_intel

Please try the following:

Update the BIOS to the latest version; you can download the latest version here:

Download BIOS Update [FCBYT10H.86A]

Please see F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick

After updating the BIOS please install the latest graphics driver then select HDMI audio as your default playback device from the Windows* Sound control panel:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.
              2. Click Sound. The Playback tab lists the audio playback devices for your computer.
              3. Right-click on the device for HDMI audio, and select Set as Default Device.
              4. Right-click and select Test. If you hear a test tone, click OK.

I hope this can help you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 4. Re: HDMI issues
                NPCO543

Thanks again Ivan,

That worked for getting the one stick working with the Philips TV, but the Samsung still had the same problems - even when I moved the stick that was working on the Philips to the Samsung.  Since it seems like it's something specific to that model TV, I just picked up a small HDMI to VGA adapter with audio and it's all working perfectly now.  The VGA adapter probably prevents the graphics driver from fully reading the model of the TV, so it just offers the full default set of resolutions.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: HDMI issues
                  ivanu_intel

It looks that there is some compatibility problem with that specific TV, but I’m glad that now you got it to work and thank you for taking your time to let us know.

Best wishes,

Ivan