Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

the 'Iris Graphics 540' and 'HD Graphics 520' are different graphic chip sets? The 'Iris Graphics' name should not be used with the 'HD Graphic 520' name?

MHans7
Beginner

I am looking for clarification on an Intel graphic chip set product name. I want to better understand which chipset is used in a particular product.

I am new to understanding how the graphic chip names are used to classify a product and how they differentiate graphic chip products.

When I looking at graphics hardware, I want to make sure I understand which Intel product is used in the device.

My examples are in the form of questions:

1. A product that specifies the 'Intel HD Graphics 520' chipset name, will not be using the 'Iris Graphics' chipset technology?

2. A product that specifies the 'Intel Iris Graphic 540' chipset name, should be using the 'HD Graphics' chipset technology?

3. If a product description specifies 'Intel HD Graphics 520' one should understand that this shipset is not the same as the 'Intel Iris Graphics' chipset.

The 'Intel HD Graphic 520' is not an 'Iris Graphics' chipset?

The 'Intel Iris Graphics 540' is not an 'Iris Pro Graphics' chipset?

Any help clarify this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks you so much,

Mark

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MHans7
Beginner

I know that using the terms 'chip set' is not accurate.

I know the 'HD Graphics' are not dGPU, that it is integrated into the cpu.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MarkOO7,

I try answering your questions; please let me know if that could help you.

1. A product that specifies the 'Intel HD Graphics 520' chipset name, will not be using the 'Iris Graphics' chipset technology? ---- R/ True, because they are different.

2. A product that specifies the 'Intel Iris Graphic 540' chipset name, should be using the 'HD Graphics' chipset technology? ---- R/ No, as I said before Intel® Iris Graphics and Intel® HD Graphics are different.

3. If a product description specifies 'Intel HD Graphics 520' one should understand that this shipset is not the same as the 'Intel Iris Graphics' chipset. ---- R/ True, it is not the same chipset.

The 'Intel HD Graphic 520' is not an 'Iris Graphics' chipset? ---- R/ Yes, they are not the same, they both are High-end graphics but the Pro one is the top the line.

The 'Intel Iris Graphics 540' is not an 'Iris Pro Graphics' chipset? ---- R/ yes, it is not because they are two different Intel Graphics; Iris is the word that Intel marketing uses for High-end.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, MarkOO7:

Thought I would just check in and check if the information provided previously answered your inquiry.

Just to add some information to this.

The Intel® Iris Graphics /Pro is more gaming intended and high graphics performance compared to Intel® HD Graphics.

The Intel® HD Graphics are intended for daily usage, watching movies, playing videos in high resolution.

Basically, if you are into gaming and high graphics performance, go with Intel® Iris Graphics.

Watching videos or movies in high resolutions, Intel® HD Graphics.

Hope this information is useful for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
MHans7
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, I am interested in the Intel Iris graphics for processing graphics, editing video and 3D rendering/modeling software.

Gaming would be a plus.

Thanks for checking in and taking time to reply.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
MHans7
Beginner

Hi Helen,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I asked the question because I am not sure how the graphics technology is packaged and labeled.

And I've been reading through marketing information, reviews and talking with folks who sell computers that use Intel processors. Some folks thought they were the same, others did not.

I am interested in the Intel Iris graphics technology for software product development, for supporting low-medium graphics, photo and 3D processing.

Thank you for taking time to clear this up for me.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MarkOO7,

You are welcome; I am pleased to hear that the information provided clarified your inquiries.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos