1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 9:58 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop

NUC6_Customer

I have a brand new NUC6I3SYH with Win10 Pro 64-bit, 8GB of memory.  It has BIOS 39 and all latest drivers from Intel support site for this particular NUC. Graphics driver is production version 4380 (15.40). All latest Windows Update are applied. Win10 is configured to resume from sleep to desktop without requiring a password. The only application installed is Chrome and MS Office. The use of NUC is very basic.

The problem is when resuming from sleep, the desktop is empty where icons on desktop have disappeared. In taskbar, missing are time/date, system tray icons and notification icon. If you start an application from taskbar, the application starts but you can't see the main window at desktop.  To workaround this, the end user has to shutdown the NUC and power it back on. 

This problem occurs unpredictably - meaning sometimes, when resume from sleep, Windows 10 desktop is shown correctly but sometimes, the above problem appears.  It's unpredictable when this problem will appear.  We have older computers running Windows 10 and this problem does not occur on those computers.

Requesting this be fix.

• 1. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, NUC6_Customer:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

This could be a file corrupted from windows, I have some recommendations you could follow for this.

1. Run the System file Checker tool instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
          2. Some other troubleshooting is in here like restart the explorer.exe, or change display output: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/windows-taskbar-missing-disappear/
          3. You could also unistall and check "Delete the driver software for this device" while uninstalling the graphics driver, after this, please download and install the driver again.
          4. As a last option, it would be to perform a clean Windows 10* installation in your system.

I look forward to your outcome with this issue.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
            slackenby

I have the same problem with my NUC6i5SYK. Problems been present since first done a clean install of Windows 10.

Seen other similar issues reported on this forum. Surely this is a driver or bios issue. I have had to stop using the sleep mode.

As above some time come out of sleep ok. Others, completely blank screen, others missing desktop icons, time, date etc.

I latest BIOS and graphics card drivers. Very annoying.

• 3. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
              Intel Corporation

Hello, slackenby:

I would like to know, have you run the System file Checker tool?

Some corrupted windows files could be affecting the behavior of the system.

I look forward to your reply on this.

Regards,
              Esteban C

• 4. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                NUC6_Customer

Hi Estaban C,

I've done your recommendations and none of them worked.  The problem still exists.

Regarding your speculation "this could be a corrupted file from windows"... I can confidently say, it is not. The NUC has a fresh install of Windows 10 followed by BIOS and latest driver updates from Intel, then latest Windows update and followed by install of Chrome browser and MS Office 2016.   The end user using this NUC logs in as standard user and cannot install any applications and cannot make any driver updates.   As I mentioned previously, the use of this NUC is very basic (Chrome and MS Office... specifically MS Word).  No other applications is installed. 

As I read the community forum message, I'm not the only one experiencing this problem on this NUC.

Requesting to fix this issue.    Also, I suggest to unmark your answer as "Correct Answer" bec it did not fix the issue.

• 5. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                  Intel Corporation

Hello, All:

Thank you for the answers provided and feedback as well.

I would like to request some information to attempt to replicate the issue on my end.

Please provide me with the following information

-NUC Model:
                  -BIOS Version:
                  -RAM (maker and model in white sticker):
                  -Storage (maker and model):
                  -Amount of time in sleep mode to replicate the issue:
                  -Windows build currently used in the system (win key+ R and type winver):
                  -Software installed in the system:
                  -Are there any programs running while the unit is in sleep mode:
                  -Is the version of Windows 10* you are using relail, OEM, a clone from another computer, etc:
                  -Any other behavior or scenario that you find that could be related or triggering the issue, please add it in your answer.

I look forward to your reply on this.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                    iPat

I believe, your NUC is changing display configuration from 'pc screen only' to 'Extended', for some unknown reasons.

If this is true, you could workaround it by

1. press Win+P (to open the Project menu)
                    2. press the 'Home' button (to select the PC Screen only)
                    3. press Enter

It does not solve the issue, but at least we could identify the problem and it would prevent rebooting the NUC.

I had this behavior once on my NUC6i5SYK by powering off the monitor while the NUC did some number crunching overnight. I am not sure if this has to do with sleep or not.

Beside Estebans requested information it might be good to know if there were any BIOS changes and how your monitor is cabled. If you have a second DP/HDMI cable, it might be worth a try to changing it.

• 7. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                      StuffOfInterest

I had something similar to this happen as well.  For me in turned out to be an artifact of the process I used to setup the computer.  When I was installing the OS and apps I was connected to a monitor via HDMI.  When it was moved to a desk for use it was connected via DisplayPort.  The monitor would wakeup slower than the computer at times.  Because of this, Windows would think the HDMI monitor was still there and make it the primary display.  The task bar visible on the DisplayPort connected monitor is what you typically see on a secondary monitor in Windows 10.

The fix for me was to go in to display settings (right click on the desktop), set the DisplayPort monitor as the primary, and disable the HDMI monitor.  After that the windows didn't get lost anymore.

• 8. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                        ILog

I had exactly the same once. But more often it was looking a bit different. Not to repeat myself, you can read this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/99980

• 9. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                          Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you all for your input on this.

I look forward to your outcome on this (NUC6_Customer) after checking all troubleshooting to be performed.

Regards,
                          Esteban C

• 10. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                            NUC6_Customer

Hi Esteban,

Here's the information you requested:

-NUC Model: NUC6i3SYH

-BIOS Version: 39

-RAM (maker and model in white sticker):  Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4-2133 SODIMM

-Storage (maker and model): Intel SSD 535 Series (360GB, M.2 80mm SATA 6Gb/s, MLC)

-Amount of time in sleep mode to replicate the issue:  It varies.  See detailed problem description at the beginning of this thread.

-Windows build currently used in the system (win key+ R and type winver): OS Build 10586.164

-Software installed in the system: Chrome browser and MS Office 2016

-Are there any programs running while the unit is in sleep mode:  It varies: Either no apps (freshly booted), or Chrome only or MS Office only or both.  The issue will appear.

-Is the version of Windows 10* you are using relail, OEM, a clone from another computer, etc: Retail

-Any other behavior or scenario that you find that could be related or triggering the issue, please add it in your answer. 

Other than the detailed problem description at the beginning of this thread, nothing else to add.

As for how the NUC is connected to monitor:

Before the NUC is deployed to end user, during NUC setup, the NUC is connected to a monitor using HDMI to install Win10Pro, drivers, Chrome and Office.

After NUC has completed setup and it's deployed to end user, a different monitor is used with NUC.  The connection to this monitor is DVI.  This monitor is basic.  The available connection is either DVI or VGA.  Never used VGA with this NUC.

As for BIOS changes, used BIOS default.

As I mentioned before, the use of NUC is very basic.  The NUC was never used in a dual display setup.

As for workaround suggestion by iPat to use "Win+P",  I have not tried this but assuming if it works, the workaround is simply not acceptable to the end user.  The end user is senior with low technical knowledge.  Senior will not do technical troubleshooting when resuming NUC from sleep.  And having to do "Win+P" when resuming the NUC from sleep at various times is not acceptable to the senior.  

Requesting to fix this issue.

• 11. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                              iPat

I think it has to do with the new monitor after completing setup. It looks like your NUC is switching back to HDMI for some unknown reasons.

If you feel comfortable to delete monitor registry settings, you can try this:

Cleaning Up Old PC Monitor Data

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/09/24/cleaning-up-old-pc-monitor-data/

• 12. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                                rado77

Hi NUC6_Customer,

I have the same config and I tested sleep mode many times without problem. My monitor is connected through HDMI. I think...hmm....so when you see the desktop correctly, right clivk on Desktop/Screen Resolution. Make sure that there is only 1 monitor showed on picture. Click also on Display drop-don menu - you shoud see there only 1 choice - your monitor. Under 3 drop-down  menus you should see message "This is currently your main display". Also check driver ver for Intel HD 520 if it's 15.40.18.4380. If is higher, use roll back driver button

• 13. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello, NUC6_Customer:

Thank you for the information provided.

I would like to know, have you tested the behavior of your NUC with a straight connection to the monitor? meaning HDMI to HDMI or Mini-DP to DisplayPort?

It is not fully recommended to use adapters with the system (VGA is not present in the unit so an adapter would be required to achieve your configuration).

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,
                                  Esteban C

• 14. Re: NUC6I3SYH - When resuming from sleep, problems with Windows 10 desktop
                                    NUC6_Customer

Hi iPat,

The connection to monitor is using a HDMI to DVI connector (new connector) - a very basic & common setup.

I took up your recommendations and looked into "Cleaning Up Old PC Monitor Data" workaround. But I find the command lines with "subinacl.exe" doesn't work hence I can't delete registry entries of old monitor.  As I understood the concept what they're trying to do, I figured an easier way to do this without registry editing:

1. Run Device Manager as administrator

2. Pull down the "View" menu and toggle on "Show hidden devices".

3. In device manager tree, expand "Monitors" and you'll see old monitor(s) in greyed text.

4. Delete all old monitor(s) and leave only the entry for the active monitor (an Acer).

5. Reboot.

Inspecting the registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY, it'll have same effect as described in the above web site.

In a quick test of 10 back-to-back suspend/resume, the issue didn't appear.  But I can't say for certain this workaround has fixed this issue bec this issue shows up in varying times of suspend/resume throughout the day (not back-to-back suspend/resume).  The real test is for the end user to use the NUC PC for a few days and see if it appears again. 

Another observation is Senior turns off the monitor (to save electricity) after NUC goes to sleep.  When NUC resumes from sleep and Senior turns on monitor afterwards, Windows does a device enumeration and puts a 2nd entry into the monitor registry as Generic Monitor instead of re-using the existing Acer monitor entry.  The graphics' driver monitor auto-detection should have handled this properly.   As a mitigation, I've manually removed the extra monitor entry and asked the Senior to not turn off monitor when NUC goes to sleep.  

We'll see how this goes...

1 2 Previous Next