Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Dedicated video ram (Intel HD graphics)

ALutz1
Beginner

I am a gamer on my dell inspirion 3647. I have upgraded to 8gb of ram on the CPU, however my video card only has 112.5mb of dedicated video ram(as shown below). Much to small for the best of today's games to run on and after reading up on many ways to increase the dedicated video ram, I learned that that you can increase it by sharing some of the CPU ram with it through a setting in the the BIOS. I have searched my PC's BIOS on windows 8 (when I previously tried and failed) and on windows 10 when I upgraded but found no setting with the proper name or related function. My specs are as follows: (Copy and pasted from "systemrequirementslab.com")

ProcessorIntel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHzManufacturerIntelSpeed3.0 GHzNumber of Cores2CPU IDBFEBFBFF000306C3Family06Model3CStepping3RevisionVideo CardIntel(R) HD GraphicsManufacturerIntelChipsetIntel(R) HD GraphicsDedicated Memory112.5 MBTotal Memory4.0 GBPixel Shader Version5.0Vertex Shader Version5.0Hardware T & LYesVendor ID8086Device ID0402Plug and Play IDVEN_8086&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_06111028&REV_06Driver Version20.19.15.4331Memory8.0 GBOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit<td class="secondary-title" style="padding-right: 0.5e...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

In most cases, the computer manufacturer has already configured the system to use the maximum amount of graphics memory that is possible for your particular computer model. Sometimes you can change these values through BIOS level.

If you are interested in additional information see graphics memory frequently asked questions:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005472.html Graphics Memory FAQ for Windows 7*, Vista*, XP* and 2000*

Allan.

0 Kudos
ALutz1
Beginner

I checked the FAQ for the max graphics memory for my processor, which is an Intel Pentium series 7, and it says 1.7gb for windows 7 and I'm assuming its the same for windows 10. I also noticed that my processor has 4 gb of total memory but only 112.5mb of dedicated memory is there a way to allocate more of the processors memory to dedicated memory.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Only if the computer BIOS allows to change the video memory. If you are not able to find any option at BIOS level, then this is locked by your computer manufacturer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ALutz1
Beginner

If I were to purchase a better video card to one with more dedicated video memory would my computer run the same but be ale to handle games that require more graphics memory?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

If you are going to get an external video card, you will be using dedicated graphics engine, therefore, more performance.

Allan.

0 Kudos