Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel 5500 graphics fading in

GGeor12
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I have an ASUS UX303 LA laptop. It has Intel 5500 graphics built in. Most pages look great, but I have noticed two issues ( which are probably relaed 😞 1) when going from a dark background ( like the wallpaper I use ) to a light background ( the Google home page ), the laptop seems to stair step the brightness of the white page until it is at full brightness. So, when I go to the Google home page, the white background gets brighter, and brighter, and brighter until it reaches full brightness for the page. It only happens when I am on battery power, not when I am using the power cord. I have tried every possible thing I can think of in terms of updating drivers, adjusting power settings, turning off the auto dimming, etc. I have even been on with ASUS Tech Support twice, and then told me to reset the machine. I did it, and played with the settings, and still no change. I can not replace the ASUS video driver with the Intel version, because it will not install on Win10. Any other suggestions? Did I just get a bad laptop ( it is only several weeks old, and a refurb ). 2) I get some weird artifacts in World of Tanks that make it look like the tanks are controlled by puppeteer strings. Very odd, but I figure it is just another video driver issue like the first one.

Thanks for any help,

George

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, gsmitchell:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Have you tested the behavior of your system after disabling Adaptive Brightness?

Here you can find some instructions regarding this: http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-dark-screen-problems/ http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-dark-screen-problems/

Actually the best option to go with regarding drivers is the drivers provided from the manufacturer of the device.

Regarding the second issue, here you can find some possible sources of the issue and troubleshooting you could perform on this.

Also double check if this issue started after updating to certain version of the game, if that is the case, please report the issue to the developers of the game: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum/32-in-game-bug-reporting/ http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum/32-in-game-bug-reporting/

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
GGeor12
Beginner

Hi Esteban,

Thank you for the suggestions! One item I think I left out of my original problem desctiption is that I only have this problem while I am on battery power. I do not have the same problem when I am plugged in. I have worked with ASUS Tech Support several times for this issue, but we have not been able to find a resolution. I am pretty sure this is a driver issue rather than a hardware issue, but I have not been able to find anything that fixes or even lessens the problem. I have tried turning adaptive brightness off, and it did not make a difference. I have also tried several others things like setting the on battery / on charger settings to the same settings for everything but that did not help either. I have updated BIOS, video drivers, etc and can not find anything that makes a difference. I have run the Intel Driver Update utility ( and the same type of thing from ASUS ), and there are no driver updates that either say need to be installed. I even tried to install the generic Intel driver, but was stopped from installing it by Windows 10 that kept warning me it was a driver it did not recognize, and finally stopped giving me options to move forward with the install. So I think I am nearing the point of asking for an RMA for this laptop, and getting it replaced since I am still under warranty. But I really would rather not go that route unless I have tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, gsmitchell:

I understand your concern, if drivers from both sides have been tested, some other troubleshooting has been provided by your OEM and all windows updates are installed, I would say it's better to send the unit to be checked.

Also, please remember to make sure all drivers are up to date and downloaded from you OEM's website.

If any additional or new inquiries come, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, gsmitchell:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to get in touch with your OEM for some possible troubleshooting remaining from their side.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos