1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 5:31 PM by Intel Corporation

Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??

icecube

I tried looking for sleep function in windows, it seems to be missing. The TV is mounted high up on the wall, it would suck to have to somehow reach back to turn this thing on.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
          Al Hill

On my stick (STCK1A32WFC), in the control panel/power options, I have set to sleep in 60 minutes.  I am using a Microsoft All-in-One Media keyboard (which is wireless).  I have the monitor set to provide three functions:

1) a VGA extension for another computer

2) a digital TV

3) a HDMI output for the stick.

I switch between all of them.  When I switch to the Stick, and it is asleep, I simply hit a key on the keyboard and, after about 10 seconds or so, the stick comes to life.

By the way, the stick is on Windows 10.

Doc

• 2. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
            icecube

I have the STK1AW32SC with Windows 10 and there is no sleep option in power options, only how long to power off display, this is mind boggling.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
              Al Hill

That is strange:  This is what I see:

Capture.PNG

Still, have you tried hitting a key on your keyboard to see if it awakens the stick?

Doc

• 4. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                icecube

Hitting buttons on the wireless keyboard/mouse is the first thing I tried, no luck.

This is what I have:

Capture.PNG

• 5. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                  Al Hill

I wish I could provide more.  This is a strange one.

Doc

• 6. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                    Hellen_Intel
                    Hi,

Let me investigate about this scenario, and I will let you know as soon as I get more information about this.

Regards,

Hellen.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                      AndyL63

All,

I have the same compute stick (STCK1A32WFC) running the Windows 8.1 with Bing that came with it.   That also has limited power options - identical to icecube.

icecube - what I have been trying to do is set up the stick as a low power iTunes serves - I don't want the stick to go to sleep.   It is so low power that there doesn't seem to be much point in effectively turning it off.   My issue was that it goes to sleep despite there not being a sleep setting.   This seems to relate to the TV being off and therefore the stick goes into standby, which needs to have the button on the stick pressed to wake it up.  There seems to be a fix which requires a change in the registry that I am just testing.

If you are happy to leave it on that may be your solution?

• 8. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                        Hellen_Intel

Hi all,

Thanks AndyL63, Icecube you can check this thread, the information provide there could help you.

https://communities.intel.com/message/349228

This could also be a TV's compatibility issue.

Regards,

Hellen.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                          GrzegorzP

Please read the part number of the stick in question - it's the new version. As stated in intel documentation of the stick (thanks to rguevara) https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25637/eng/STK1AW32SC_STK1A32SC_TechProdSpec05.pdf page #14, table 4 the stick doesn't support sleep or hibernation which is a major omission by intel. I checked the documentation for the m3/m5 models and they will support these power modes. Really, intel should put in big red letters in their advertising that the new version of the stick with atom processor does not support sleep and you have to reach behind tv to turn it on... Or buy a 3 times more expensive version with core m3 processor. Nobody in their right mind would suspect that a computer in 2016 would not support a sleep mode...

@AndyL63 no, you do not have the same version as icecube. Please compare the numbers again... And complain to intel for using such similar part numbers for two completely different sticks.

• 10. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                            AndyL63

Sorry, I could have written my reply a bit clearer.

I have the same stick as Al Hill, but with 8.1.  My power settings in Windows are the same as icecube.

There are two aspects embedded in the thread.   There appears to be a number of things that impact "sleep" modes; what the Intel chip supports, the settings in the OS (control panel and registry in windows), the interaction with the monitor/TV.   I was also asking why bother to turn it off given the low power nature of the stick.

Keeping the stick "on" seems to be easier - my version goes to sleep even when the setting in the control panel was set to never sleep.   This seems to be related to the interaction with the display via the HDMI cable. I am testing whether setting a registry entry resolves this.   I am travelling at the moment, but a quick initial test appears to be positive.

Having the the stick go to sleep such that it can be woken by a key press is more complex - I had to press the power button to get it to wake.   As the input is via USB or Bluetooth, that aspect of the stick will need to remain on - I presume my problem was caused because it does not stay on and this is what icecube is experiencing.   I was meaning to suggest he think about leaving it on all the time as a simple workaround, especially as he and I don't actually have a sleep option (turning the display off is not sleep).

Sorry for any confusion my post caused.

• 11. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                              GrzegorzP

I use the stick in my bedroom and the stick's cooling is clearly audible at night. It would bother me too much even if I could live with having the stick powered on 24/7 when I use it on average 1/7 to watch a movie every other day... I also don't really get why you have to wake yours from sleep with power button? In both my laptop and PC when the machines enter sleep mode I can wake them up by simply pressing a key on keyboard or moving mouse (on wireless usb dongle). Of course there is some very low power consumption in sleep mode but the computers are silent

• 12. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                                AndyL63

What is odd is the apparent lack of consistency in an area that should be consistent!   Neither icecube nor I appear to have a sleep option - the control panel settings only show an option to turn the display off.   However we have slightly different hardware and I am on windows 8.1 and icecube is on windows 10.   Both of us also appear to have sticks that do go to sleep and can only wake them up by pressing the power button - mouse movement or keyboard has no effect.   Al Hill has the same hardware as me, but is on Windows 10 and he has a sleep option as well as the display off and when his stick is asleep it can be woken from the keyboard.   All quite bizarre!

As per my post it appears that my issue, going to sleep despite no setting in windows and not waking from keyboard may be due to an "incompatibility" with the display (as per Hellen_intel), equally it may be fixed by changing an entry in the registry (as per the link in my initial post).   This may be why, when my stick and icecubes go to sleep they do not awake on the keyboard.  From the technical specs it appears that the stick is going into the S5 state (ie a soft off requiring a cold boot)

It still doesn't explain why neither of us have a sleep option unless for me it needs me to upgrade to Windows 10 (as per Al Hill) and am not cure about icecube.   However, as you point out the documentation implies intel hasn't fully implemented sleep as the S5 state requires the power switch to wake from S5 (page #15).   The same table indicates that the stick will not wake up from USB or bluetooth - which goes against Al Hill's experience.

Trying to work through what is actually happening all I can think of is that some of the issue has to do with entries in the registry that could mean the sleep option is displayed irrespective of whether it actually works and Al Hill's stick is actually on all the time but the HDMI takes some time to wake up either on the chip or the display? 

Unfortunately none of this is sorting out icecube's problem, unless he is happy to have it on all the time and the fix I shared works for him.

• 13. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                                  Al Hill

I leave my stick on 24/7.  As far as fan noise, it is non-existent as far as I can hear.

One difference is I did update all of the system devices.  So, maybe it is an issue with one of the devices.

When I switch to HDMI, the monitor is on, and I see "No signal" (on my monitor.  When I press a key on the wireless keyboard, it takes 5 seconds to show the W10 screen (I just counted the seconds).

Doc

• 14. Re: Is there a way to turn on the compute stick without reaching to the back of the TV??
                                    icecube

No man, there is no good solution for me right now. I can't even keep it on the unit tends to 'shut off' after some period of inactivity, and only way to turn it back on is reach to the back of the TV.

1 2 Previous Next