8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 8:47 AM by mikec_intel

update utility

truckermama180

Why doesn't the update utility see that I am connected to the Internet?

• 1. Re: update utility
          mark_h_@intel

Hi truckermama180,

Unless something is blocking the application such as a firewall or some other program on your PC, it should automatically connect. What are you seeing?

Mark

• 2. Re: update utility
            truckermama180

Well, it just says to make sure I am connected or to try again later.

• 3. Re: update utility
              mark_h_@intel

I'm not sure why you would be getting that message if you are connected.

Do you know what version of the utility you are using? If you have one of the newer versions, the version numbers shows in the upper right-hand corner.

Some of the older versions (before version 2.4) will not be able to find a connection so that is one possibility.

IDUU-Version.jpg

You can get the latest version of the utility at https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24345/a08/Intel%20Driver%20Update%20Utility%20Installer.exe.

I hope this helps.

Mark

• 4. Re: update utility
                truckermama180

That did the trick. Thanks. I have another question, though. Is an external hard drive merely an adjunct to the computer's own or does it override the computer's drive?

• 5. Re: update utility
                  mark_h_@intel

I've plugged in external USB drives to my computers and they show up as an additional drive in Windows. It's the same as plugging in an external DVD drive or a USB stick. It doesn't override the drive that's in your PC. I've even bought drive cases online and put hard drives from old PCs in the cases. They have USB connectors that plug into my new PC. That way I can go back and look for an old file. I hardly ever want the old files, but occasionally that has come in handy.

Mark

• 6. Re: update utility
                    truckermama180

Thanks. Have a good one.

• 7. Re: update utility
                      truckermama180

I forgot. I haven't been able to find an answer about why my mass storage controller disappeared. I opened up the D drive and the files were missing. I went to Toshiba, but there were so many things to look at that I was stumped. My computer is a Toshiba laptop Satellite series I can't remember the numbers but it is A series. It's Intel CPU T2050 @1.60 Ghz 32 bit Service pack 1 Windows 7 Pro. I put 7 on recently from XP and it was fine for a few weeks, then the storage controller went AWOL. The thing is, the properties say it's working correctly , but that it's full up, which is weird because it's not even there. I guess I should add that this computer is 11 years old, but it's still working very well. Maybe the D drive just conked out, or maybe something else. I don't know.

• 8. Re: update utility
                        mikec_intel

Hi truckermama180,

The mass storage controller is included on the chipset (INF) driver of your computer. I recommend you to verify if you are using the latest BIOS of the laptop and the latest drivers for Windows® 7.

If you were using XP previously; It is recommended to format again the hard drive. Open disk management, right click over the drive and select format.

Toshiba support website

Official Toshiba Support | Toshiba

Regards,
                        Mike C