3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 12:55 PM by EstebanC_Intel

No Intel UI for RAid 1 in Windows 10 ASUS P9X79

dastewart

Hi

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I've searched and read various threads and can't quite seem to find the right answer.

I have an ASUS p9X79 board with 4 drives attached arranged as 2 RAID 1 volumes. I was using Intel Matrix Storage Manager but have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and that got lost.

When I boot up it shows that one of my RAID volumes needs to be rebuilt and will be done "in the operating system".  However, when Win10 starts I can't find any way to actually look at the RAID volumes and rebuild them (like you could do in Matrix Storage Manager).

So, I've looked at updating various software and drivers but all the utilities (Intel and Windows) tell me I'm up to date and so I'm scared to manually install later drivers since I'm not sure if they are compatible with my motherboard and don't want to end up messing up my system as one of the RAID volumes is my boot disk.  There seems to be a lot of discussion about whether or not the various RST driver versions will work with the X79 chipset for RAID but I can't find a definitive answer.

So, the simple questions is can I update my drivers (and which ones should I install) given the hardware I'm running?

Here's what I have at the moment:

MS Windows 10 Home

ASUS P9X79 (standard one, not delux or pro)

Bios American Megatrends 4701, 06/05/2014

SMBIOS 2.7

Embedded Controller version 255.255

Bios Mode UEFI

Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller 13.2.0.1022 19 Feb 2015

When the machine boots the RAID says Intel RST 12.7.0.1936

• 1. Re: No Intel UI for RAid 1 in Windows 10 ASUS P9X79
          EstebanC_Intel

Hello, dastewart:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to recommend you to create a backup of all your information and then install the latest version of Intel® RSTe.

Here you can find the driver to be downloaded: Download Intel® RSTe AHCI & SCU Software RAID driver for Windows*

Additionally, with Ctrl + I at post, you would be able to check the RAID configurations that you have in your system, to restore them or re-built them.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 2. Re: No Intel UI for RAid 1 in Windows 10 ASUS P9X79
            dastewart

Esteban, thanks for the reply.  I did try and download the driver above but it said that it was incompatible with my system.  I assume that's because I have set to RST rather than RSTe in my BIOS.

So, I downloaded an old version of RST drivers (12.8.0.1016) and that installed the UI (IAStorUI) which allowed me to look at the RAID volumes.  I could see that one of my drives was faulty so I've replaced it and allowed this utility to rebuild the RAID volume.

So, now everything is working fine but I do have old drivers.  I'm tempted to just leave it alone but

a) will I get any benefit from upgrading to the drivers in your link above

b) if I set my BIOS to RSTe will everything still boot up okay and then I just install the drivers above?

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: No Intel UI for RAid 1 in Windows 10 ASUS P9X79
              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, dastewart:

Thank you for your answer, I am glad to hear you were able to fix the issue installing the older driver.

Now, regarding updating the driver, I would like to recommend you to contact the manufacturer of your board to check which are the supported versions and how could that change (RSTe in BIOS) affect the behavior of your system.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C