1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2016 6:28 AM by Glasia86

Chipset update not installing.

ayylmaooo

I am trying to update my graphics driver. I used the Intel driver update utility and scanned for updates, and it found something. The exact name of what it found is "Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility-EXE Only)". It is the latest version, v. 10.1.1.14.  It does download, but once it starts to actually install, it fails and says that an unknown error occurred. There are no other programs open when I am attempting to install. What should I do?

• 1. Re: Chipset update not installing.
          Jose9980

I'm getting the same exact error. I've looked everywhere for an answer and I haven't found anything. My little brother was trying to play minecraft and I was trying to update the graphics driver since it wasn't working, and I got the "unknown error".

• 2. Re: Chipset update not installing.
            YseGuy

Try a manual installation utilizing the installer, ie 'SetupChipset.exe'. It is available here (scroll down).

Also read this thread for further information about the issue.

• 3. Re: Chipset update not installing.
              ayylmaooo

I have tried a manual installation already and it did the same thing.

Like Jose9980, I was trying to play Minecraft but I was told I needed to update my graphics drivers. I was on Windows 10, but I then reverted back to Windows 7. I am able to play the game on Windows 7. This leads me to believe that my drivers are not actually out of date, but that something on Windows 10 messes with them. Do you have any insight on this?

• 4. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                YseGuy

Well graphics card drivers != chipset drivers.

If it's about graphics card drivers, keep in mind that any Windows OS > 7 requires WDDM drivers. In Windows 7, WDDM was still optional. So if your graphics card manufacturer doesn't offer WDDM drivers for your card, you might either be unable to run Windows 10 at all, or only be able to utilize Windows' standard graphics card drivers, which in turn might lead to problems with games running on that platform, because usually the standard drivers don't support the advanced / proprietary features of specific cards.

If you're using a graphics card with an Intel chipset, it'd be preferred to post in the respective support forum here, otherwise post in the support forum of the card's or graphic chipset's manufacturer.

• 5. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                  allan_intel

Latest INF for Intel(R) chipset is available here: Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

You could also try downloading custom drivers from your computer manufacturer.

Allan.

• 6. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                    mikegratsas

I also have a problem installing the latest Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) v. 10.1.1.14 on my Acer 6930G notebook on Windows 10 as well as Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Moreover, this Chipset Device Software version is recommended to install by Intel Driver Update Utility, but 'Unknown Error' message is shown on installation failure.

There are error messages in the log file:

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (64:18) [11:27:20:787]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software. Product Version: 10.1.1.14. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Intel Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

• 7. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                      YseGuy

The Acer 6930G contains a Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset, which is a 4-series legacy chipset. Windows 10 is not a supported platform for systems based on this chipset, that's why the current chipset device software can't be installed.

The latest version of the chipset device software that supports your chipset to my knowledge is this one. Note that it's for Windows Vista/8.x, so there's no guarantee that it will work in Windows 10 - you'll have to give it a try.

• 8. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                        allan_intel

Good information YseGuy. Thank you.

Allan.

• 9. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                          mikegratsas

I successfully installed driver Intel® Chipset Device Software v. 10.0.27 on my Acer Aspire 6930G computer. According to release notes this driver is compatible with Windows 10 as well as Windows 7 x64.

There are lines in the log file:

MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Note: 1: 1707
                          MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
                          MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1707
                          MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
                          MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
                          MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:332]: Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (C0:D0) [15:43:57:348]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software. Product Version: 10.0.27. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Intel Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

The question is why Intel can't support 4-series legacy chipset in the latest driver version? I think there is some error in the v. 10.1.1.14 driver installer.

• 10. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                            YseGuy

The version 10.0.27 of the chipset device software is for (older) Intel server chipsets/boards, but your machine contains a consumer chipset. Even if the installation of that version worked, it doesn't mean it is the correct one for your system.

Anyway, regarding Windows 10 support for older hardware like yours, it's not a question if Intel *could* provide respective drivers, but if they *want* to. From my understanding, they decided to not support Windows 10 for some of their older hardware, probably for a variety of reasons. But that's not something I could or want to comment on, as I'm not in a position to do so (not connected to Intel in any way).

• 11. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                              allan_intel

Full support for Windows® 10 is available from 3rd generation core processors. The Intel® 4 series chipset is not included on the support for Windows® 10.

Allan.

• 12. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                                GlennXS

Well, that's nice.  However, some software architect for the Chipset Installer had to program the resolve as "Unknown Error" which leads swarms of us users to trace through pages of jiberish such as this just to find out that it's "unsupported".  Why couldn't the architect program resolve to say such(?); e.g. "this version not supported.  Please regress to a previous release".  I, for one, would much rather read that than spend hours as said to get this point.

• 13. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                                  GeorgeThe2ndlol

I am having the same error as well and I still can't solve the problem, please help!!!!!!

• 14. Re: Chipset update not installing.
                                    allan_intel

Please see post # 11. At this point you will need to install a supported operating system to get full driver support.

Allan.

1 2 Previous Next