14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 7:51 AM by Hellen_Intel

RAID Screen...

richardm1981

Hello guys I need some help please. I installed a second hard drive on my Windows 10 desktop and ever since then, upon restarting I get a RAID screen for a few seconds asking me to click CTRL I to inter RAID configurations. This does not happen when I unplug that hard drive and only run on the main hard drive. I'm able to see the hard drive and move files in it. How do I get rid of this screen from showing up? I don't even know what a RAID is and honestly, if I don't need it, I don't want it. Please help. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: RAID Screen...
          Hellen_Intel
          Hi richardm1981,
          According to what you said, your BIOS seems to be configured in RAID mode, so there is not an issue with your system, that message that ask you to click Ctrl+I to configure RAID is because, your BIOS is setup as RAID mode, you can use your system like that, but, if you don’t want to see that message again, you will have to get into the BIOS and change the configuration, from RAID to AHCI after that you will need to reinstall the OS.

You can check the link below to get more information about RAID
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and kits/000005867.html?wapkw=intel+nuc+kit+nuc5pgyh
          Regards,
          Hellen.
          • 2. Re: RAID Screen...
            richardm1981

thanks hellen! I don't have that option on my bios. There's an option for Raid (where it's on right now) and Ata I think it's ata. I'm not by my computer now but for sure its not ahci. I picked ata once to see if it helps but it when to a black page with a _ blinking and never did anything. Not sure  that's about...

• 3. Re: RAID Screen...
              Hellen_Intel

Hi Richardm1981,

For better understanding, please provide us your Desktop Board model:

Regards,

Hellen.

• 4. Re: RAID Screen...
                richardm1981

hi Hellen. It's a Dell XPS 8100. I created a system image on an external hard drive and before I load it up, I went to bios to change it from raid to ata and it won't let me install the clean system image. Says partition can't be found.  So I'm sorta stuck. I read online that I needed to break the raid but could not figure out how to do that.

• 5. Re: RAID Screen...
                  N.Scott.Pearson

If the image was built (i.e. Windows was installed) while the system was set to RAID, you will not be able to boot from it with the setting is changed to ATA. If you truly want to change the setting to ATA, it means that you will have to reinstall Windows from scratch. Do you really want to do that?

The RAID prompt began showing up because, when you added the second hard drive, it became possible for a RAID configuration to be enabled (this was not the case while there was only a single drive; there is no possible RAID configuration involving only a single drive).

The fact that you are seeing the RAID prompt really means nothing and your simplest option would be to just ignore it...

...S

• 6. Re: RAID Screen...
                    richardm1981

Hi Scott. Thanks for your comment. Even when I tried to install windows from scratch, it wouldn't let me. How do I install Windows on ATA mode?

• 7. Re: RAID Screen...
                      N.Scott.Pearson

You set to to ATA and then boot from your Windows installation media (DVD or USB Stick) and do the install. If, after setting it to ATA, it does not allow you to boot from your media, then it is a bug in their BIOS and you should be at the Dell site asking them what is going wrong. Have you verified that you have installed the latest available BIOS that Dell has released for your board? Maybe what you are seeing is a bug they have already fixed...

...S

• 8. Re: RAID Screen...
                        richardm1981

I have tried that and it wont let me install Windows saying the couldn't not find a partition drive. I installed the newest Bios. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks again!

• 9. Re: RAID Screen...
                          N.Scott.Pearson

What version of Windows are you using? For Windows 7 (or later), you will want to delete all existing partitions on the drive and then select to have Windows install to the unpartitioned drive (it will create the necessary partitions)...

• 10. Re: RAID Screen...
                            richardm1981

I'm running Windows 10 Home. How can I delete partitions on the drive that currently has Windows installed on it and running from it? Thanks and sorry for all the stupid questions, Scott.

• 11. Re: RAID Screen...
                              N.Scott.Pearson

When I talk about installing Windows, I am talking about a PC with a single HDD (or SSD) installed that has no contents (or its contents are unimportant and can be deleted). You would be installing Windows from installation media (flash stick or DVD). You will be booting from this media, not accessing it from any preexisting Windows installation. When the Windows installer gets to the screen where you select where it should install, click on the tool selection and then delete all existing partitions on the HDD (or SSD). Then select the unused space on the drive (which is all of it, essentially) and let the installer create the partitions as it installs Windows.

• 12. Re: RAID Screen...
                                richardm1981

I see. It won't let me install Windows on the drive. I was wondering what do I need to do to be able to delete all the content on this drive. Windows is on it now and using the instillation DVD I created using "Create a system repair disc" in Windows settings, it wont let me install Windows. So basically, how can I empty out this hard drive to be able to install windows? When I put in the DVD and run the installer and I pick clean install of Windows, something comes up saying Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing. I'm assuming it has to do with this Raid thing. I went into Bios and changed it from RAID to ATA (the only other option available for me) and then I have the pc boot from the DVD. The installer is pretty straight forward and I am sure I'm not missing something.

• 13. Re: RAID Screen...
                                  richardm1981

i got it figured out guys! I had to unplug that second hard drive and now it's letting install Windows 10 with Sata option selected in bios. So far so good. It's finishing installing Windows now (clean copy) and then I'll plug that second hard drive and I should be good to go! Thanks everyone!

• 14. Re: RAID Screen...
                                    Hellen_Intel

Hi,

Thanks Scott for your contribution on this thread; Richardm1981 I am glad to hear that your issue was solved.

Regards,

Hellen.