2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 9:45 AM by Intel Corporation

Bios 0039 for Skylake NUCs 6i5SYH/K and 6i3SYH/K "thermal trip message and event log"?

Topix

Hi to all,

in the bios 0039 release notes https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25864/eng/SY_0039_ReleaseNotes.pdf there is written:

• Implemented thermal trip message and event log.

It seems to me that the "thermal trip message" is a message that may appear on startup of the NUC if there was some problem with temperature. I'm right? How does it actually works?

Also where is the "event log"? It is possible to read this event log that was recorded by bios? Could someone with bios 0039 check if he found the option or the log itself please?

Many thanks at all

• 1. Re: Bios 0039 for Skylake NUCs 6i5SYH/K and 6i3SYH/K "thermal trip message and event log"?
          Hellen_Intel

Hi Topix,

I wish this could help.

Thermal Trip

The Intel® Thermal Monitor helps to control the processor temperature by activating the TCC (Thermal Control Circuit) when the processor silicon reaches its maximum operating temperature, also by modulating (starting and stopping) the processor core clocks when the processor silicon reaches its maximum operating temperature.

Enabling the Thermal Control Circuit allows the processor to attempt to maintain a safe operating temperature without the need for special software drivers or interrupt handling routines. When the Thermal Control Circuit has been enabled, processor power consumption will be reduced after the thermal sensor detects a high temperature (i.e., PROCHOT# assertion).

In automatic mode, the duty cycle is fixed at 50% on, 50% off, however in on-demand mode, the duty cycle can be programmed from 12.5% on/ 87.5% off, to 87.5% on/12.5% off in 12.5% increments.

An external signal, PROCHOT# (processor hot) is asserted when the processor detects that its temperature is above the thermal trip point. Bus snooping and interrupt latching are also active while the TCC is active.

The Intel® Thermal Monitor automatic mode must be enabled through the BIOS for the processor to be operating within specifications. Intel recommends TM1 be enabled on the processors. TM1 feature can be referred to as Adaptive Thermal Monitoring features.

Regardless of mode, in the event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon reaches the max-temperature. At this point the THERMTRIP# signal will go active. THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity and does not generate any bus cycles. When THERMTRIP# is asserted, the processor core voltage must be shut down within the time specified in the Intel® Processor External Design Specification.

Regardless of the configuration selected, PROCHOT# will always indicate the thermal status of the processor.

Event log

To activate the event log you should:

• Get into the BIOS
          • Click in “Advanced”
          • Select “Main”
          • Then check “Event Logging”
          • Press F10

To read this information saved, you can search for “Event Viewer” in your system.

Regards,

Hellen.

• 2. Re: Bios 0039 for Skylake NUCs 6i5SYH/K and 6i3SYH/K "thermal trip message and event log"?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, Topix:

I was checking this thread, and I would like to verify if you inquiry was cleared out with the information provided previously.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
            Esteban C