Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

what is the maximum supported RAM by i7-2630QM processor..? also what kind of motherboard I need to buy for this processor?

Skuma74
Beginner

All,

Recently my Lenovo-ideapad y460p laptop is broken and I need to replace motherboard, I`m wondering whether I can use the processor in any other better board so that I can have more memory added. currently it has 8 GB, I would like to go for 32 GB motherboard if the processor can handle it.

Please let me know the maximum memory i7-2630QM can handle and also any suggestions on new motherboard would be appreciated.. Thank you!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

This is your processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Specifications

You will need to find a board that supports socket: FCPGA988

You will also need to confirm with the board manufacturer that THEIR bios supports your processor.

The max memory supported by this processor is: 16GB

But, the memory interface of the motherboard you choose will dictate the amount and type of memory.

Personally, with a processor this "old", I would look for something more current. You will be better supported in the long run.

Doc

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, @All:

Al_Hill, thank you for the suggestion.

Saravana, please let us know if the suggestion above was helpful for you.

Regards,

0 Kudos