13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 9:49 AM by Intel Corporation

6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup

R62

I tried submitting a service request but everytime get a "System Unavailable" error so I thought I would post it here. 

Have the 6i5SYH and was working relatively fine until 3 days ago.  The NUC had been operating with only occasional system hang when in Windows 10 (maybe once every two weeks) for about 3 months.  Normally system is always on, seemed like it was frozen again, so manually powered off and on.  BIOS did not post and nothing seen on display.  First confirmed that both display port and hdmi both had no signal on boot.  Then replaced each stick of memory in the device in the off-chance I had a failing stick.  When powering on, the fan goes to max and the lights come on, but I don't see anything through video output. 

Any advice on how to get around this?

• 1. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
          R62

Also, I should note that I haven't done any recent BIOS updates.  Last one was an update back in the middle of February. 

• 2. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
            pmanon

Won't help you much, but I had the exact same situation. The difference being that i ran Linux. You might try to do what I did and longpress the power button (like you'd want to reflash the bios) to see if you get sound. If you do, then at least you're booting into the firmware. Still, I'd advise you to RMA, seems to be a hardware defect.

• 3. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello R62,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

When you turn on the system how many blinks do you see on LED close to the power button?
              Unplug and plug the HDMI/displayport cable and reconnect it.
              Disconnect the power adapter, the hard drive and use only one memory stick on the button DIMM.
              Reconnect the power adapter and turn on the system.

Try also what pmanon has recommended.

If nothing like this work it is likely that you have a defective unit and I suggest creating a webticket to get a replacement, you can request an RMA here:
              http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Regards,

Ivan

• 4. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                R62

Thanks Ivan,.

I have tried all the above and it won't show anything on the screen.  When powering it on, the HDD activity light does not light up at all.  I tried to submit a ticket with that URL and get a "System Unavailable" error after putting in all the information.  I also tried chatting with, but that is showing representative is "Not Available" currently as well.    I will keep trying.

• 5. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                  hegenious

I had the exact same issues and was not able to revive my 6i5, I had to RMA the unit through my retailer, not via Intel directly.

If that is possible in your case, I advise the same.

• 6. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                    pmanon

Is your replacement still alive? Is it working well? And how do you have it since your replacement?

• 7. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                      hegenious

I am on my 2nd replacement, that means third NUC. The 2 previous ones died, one from WHEA (2 weeks old) and the other would not boot anymore, it only the led solid blue and fan running full speed, no video, no USB, no BIOS...(4 days old).

So I had:

NUC6i5SYH with 2 sticks of Kingston KVR, not a KIT.

Samsung 850EVO m2 sata

I reused that RAM and the SSD in the 2nd NUC.

Although I still think the RAM was not the cause of the dying, I bought a 2x8GB KIT of Crucial RAM, to use in my 3rd NUC. Just to be sure.

The kit was recommended by my retailer.

However, the Crucial KIT got lost in the mail for 5 days, and in the meantime my 3rd NUC arrived, so I reused the KVR again, installed Windows 7 Ultimate, did the Windows upgrade to W10 to lock my Windows copy in, and updated the BIOS to 0036 and left all settings to their defaults. No problems at all.

Finally the new RAM arrived, I took out the KVR and inserted the Crucial sticks, and at the same time I added a 2TB Samsung HDD in the sata slot for data storage.

That unit has been running a charm for 16 days now, no glitches, but I keep monitoring temps and fan speed, still I keep my fingers crossed...

If it continues running rock stable like this for 2 moths, I'll move it away from my desk and use it headless as a download station and media server.

• 8. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                        pmanon

That does not inspire confidence at all... I run mine as a HTPC, and only by pure luck did I not manage to seel my old Gigabyte Brixx HTPC before my NUC died. I think I'll keep it and keep the OS in sync with the NUC when my replacement arrives. This is beyond abysmall..

• 9. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                          hegenious

sorry, didn't scour through all posts, but what happened to your NUC?

• 10. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                            pmanon

Pretty much what happened to yours. Ran Linux fine for a week, then started randomly freezing. Then the HDMI port gave up. I dug up a mDP -> HDMI converter, that got me into visual BIOS once, then it froze again, and I had no visual on both ports. Then i tried emergency BIOS flash, but never got any video out of it, at which point i decided that it's dead. I shipped mine to Intel today, and am waiting for a replacement.

• 11. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                              Intel Corporation

Hi all,

Thank you for all your contributions on this thread and I hope you can have a better experience with the Intel® NUC from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 12. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                                JarrodSpiga

Ahhh, crap.. I was hoping that the resolution for this issue wasn't to send the unit back for RMA. My second NUC has just developed the same problem two days after receiving it, after waiting three weeks for the RMA on my first unit to be processed...

I'm really disappointed that it looks like I have to go through another RMA process...

• 13. Re: 6i5SYH BIOS won't post on startup
                                  Intel Corporation

I really apologize for any inconvenience and I hope that you can have a better experience with the replacement.

Best wishes,

Ivan