1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 3:26 AM by karlmnz

How can I install x86 window ISO on ICS after deleted partitions and have drivers work?

karlmnz

I am trying to install windows on ICS, but only realised to late that shouldn't have deleted all partitions.

Colleague bought v1 ICS on US business try so warranty not really an option.

Have all legit win 8, 8.1 and 10 iso's and keys.  Can make bootable usb.  But when set ICS to windows 8.1 (32 bit) mode, none of the usbs will boot.

Haven been able to install win8 64 but no drivers work.  And no way of finding them.

Can install ubuntu 64 with drivers working.  But work colleagues are windows people mainly.  Was trying to set up dual boot.

How to get Win8 or 8.1 back on this with drivers please?

• 1. Re: How can I install x86 window ISO on ICS after deleted partitions and have drivers work?
          karlmnz

After hours of building bootable usb one after the other and trying them out.  I have figured it out.

To install x86, w8, w8.1 or w10 onto a ICS with the bios setting set to windows 32 bit. DO NOT use GPT partition table on the usb. That will never boot unless x64 and bios set to ubuntu x64, then will have wifi driver problems.  Instead use Rufus to write your usb with a x86 iso and then make it an MBR/UEFI partition table.  I picked the second option in rufus and worked for me.

Once you do this you can get the usb to boot and then install.

My experience was that w8 DOESN'T have wifi working. And my attempts to find and install wifi driver all fails.  Didn't check w8.1, skipped straight to w10.

Good news is a completely clean install of w10 (e.g. from deleted all partitions then install in unpartitioned space), get windows install and wifi work out of the box.  Yay clean complete no upgrade required, and can update over Wifi.   Next to reapply dual boot with ubuntu SD following lilicomputing reference to some other guys unofficial official ics ubuntu install ...