Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel Core I7 6700K locked at minimum frequency fails IPDT IMC test

JBrig2
Beginner

Hi,

My Intel Core I7 6700K is locked at minimum frequency 800Mhz.

I ran Intel Processor Diagnostic test, everything passes except IMC test

My configuration

MB: AZ-170 DELUXE

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700k

Processor fan: NOCTUA NH-U14S

Memory: CORSAIR DDR4 32GB (4*8) CMD32GX4M4B3000C15

System disk: SAMSUNG SSD 850 PRO 512 GB 2.5"

Power supply: CORSAIR PLATINUM PRO 860W MOD. LINK

Please provide guidance to solve this.

Results of the test below:

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 3.0.0.25.W.MP

--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 21/03/2016 19:03:47

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1

Genuine Intel CPU Test

Module Version: 1.0.12.64b.W

Start Time: Mon Mar 21 19:03:47 2016

Test Result - PASS

Expected: GenuineIntel

Detected: GenuineIntel

End Time: Mon Mar 21 19:03:47 2016

Total Time: seconds: 0

Temperature Test

Test Result - PASS

Expected: Greater than 1 degrees below max

Received: 78 degrees below max

CPU Brand String Test

Test Result - PASS

Expected String Parts: As Defined in BrandString_LocalConfig.xml

Detected: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

CPU Frequency Test

Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00G...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JBrig2
Beginner

Upgrading to the latest BIOS on my ASUS z170 DELUXE MB did help.

I got rid of the IMC test failing.

I still have to struggle with the fact that my Core I7 6700K is still stuck to the minimum clock frequency.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Let's hope this is just an issue with IPDT when new version is released. At this stage, I do not have an official release date but you can always check on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for future driver updates.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Hi Allan,

After upgrading the MB BIOS to the latest version, the IPDT test passes.

Nevertheless my CPU is still locked àt minimum frequency 800 MHZ.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility reports Thermal Throttling 100% and package temperature 21°C

I have removed the processor heat sink, cleaned the old thermal paste put new paste and installed again the heat sink with no improvement.

Any suggestion on what can cause that?

Jacprocessor

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Verify / make sure the 'Maximum processor state' setting shown in the 'Power Options' dialog of http://s11.postimg.org/kptvy0p1f/Screenshot_10.png this screenshot is set to 100%.

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Thanks, I do have100% for the processor power management/Maximum processor state

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Monitor your CPU under load with a tool like HWInfo or CPU-Z. Especially HWInfo's 'Sensors only' option reports a multitude of CPU-related values that could point to the cause(s) of your problem.

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I already did that with CPU-Z and noticed nothing but I am sure I do not understan everything.

I installed HWInfo wich gives a lot of info I am not familiar with.

I noticed the following:

In the general central processor report:

Residency State Regulation (RSR): Disabled

Is this a problem?

In the sensor report CPU section:

On demand clock modulation 100%

For all cores thermal throttling No (Opposite result of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

For all cores core ratio 8x

Uncore ratio 5x(what's "uncore"?)

For all cores clock around 800 Mhz

For all cores temp in the 18-22 °c range

Two readings I do not understand well in the preformance limit reasons section:

IA-PROCHOT YES

GT-PROCHOT YES

The values regarding clock speed do not change between a low load situation and a higher load situation (video rendering)

When loaded I see all thread usage going to 100% but hte ratio remains to 8x and the clock frequency around 800 Mhz

A general question:

Is it normal that when I open BIOS before boot it reports a frequency of 800 Mhz? Why the processor does not start at full speed?

I have not found a way to instruct the CPU to always run at full speed. Fixing the ratio in the BIOS seems to have no effect.

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Ok let's try to sort this out step by step.

> In the general central processor report:

> Residency State Regulation (RSR): Disabled

> Is this a problem?

Nope, same in my system (i7-6700K, Z170 chipset motherboard).

> In the sensor report CPU section:

> On demand clock modulation 100%

This is an expected value. Clock modulation is a feature of Intel CPU's that can be used to throttle their performance. A value of 100% indicates that the CPU is supposed to run at 100% speed unless throttling actually takes place.

> For all cores thermal throttling No (Opposite result of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

> For all cores core ratio 8x

Is this value reported for all load situations, ie for 'Current', 'Minimum', and 'Maximum'? If so, the CPU's Turbo Boost Feature either is disabled, or doesn't work properly. For more information about that feature, read the respective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost Wikipedia article. Usually, you can enable / disable Turbo Boost in the BIOS.

> Uncore ratio 5x(what's "uncore"?)

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncore this. In my system, HWInfo reports values identical to the corresponding core ratio ones.

> For all cores clock around 800 Mhz

Again, is this value reported for all load situations, ie for 'Current', 'Minimum', and 'Maximum'? It is supposed to increase under load (up to the maximum value supported by the CPU).

> For all cores temp in the 18-22 °c range

This value is lower than expected, probably due to your CPU never exceeding the minimum clock speed of 800 MHz.

> Two readings I do not understand well in the preformance limit reasons section:

> IA-PROCHOT YES

> GT-PROCHOT YES

First of all, it is expected that ALL reported values in this section are 'No' (which means, nothing is limiting the CPU's performance).

These two values indicate an overheating problem with the CPU and/or its built-in graphics chip.

I recommend you repeat the load test, and measure temperatures with https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ RealTemp (from my experience, RealTemp is the preferred tool for temperature monitoring; I've seen many other tools reporting wrong temperature values).

> The values regarding clock speed do not change between a low load situation and a higher load situation (video rendering)

> When loaded I see all thread usage going to 100% but hte ratio remains to 8x and the clock frequency around 800 Mhz

Based on the reported values above (performance limit section), it seems that the detected overheating prevents the automatic clock speed increases.

> A general question:

> Is it normal that when I open BIOS before boot it reports a frequency of 800 Mhz? Why the processor does not start at full speed?

This is not normal. Since this is happening without the OS being involved whatsoever, my conclusion is that

• either the CPU cooler is not working properly (does the fan spin?), not properly seated, or can't dissipate the generated heat (check if the thermal paste is (properly) applied)
  • or the CPU is defective, and throttling due to a non-existent overheating problem

> I have not found a way to instruct the CPU to always run at full speed. Fixing the ratio in the BIOS seems to have no effect.

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Hi,

Additional info and questions

>> For all cores thermal throttling No (Opposite result of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

>> For all cores core ratio 8x

> Is this value reported for all load situations, ie for 'Current', 'Minimum', and 'Maximum'? If so, the CPU's Turbo Boost Feature either is disabled, or doesn't work properly. For more information about that > feature, read the respective https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost Wikipedia article. Usually, you can enable / disable Turbo Boost in the BIOS.

Turbo Boost is enabled in the BIOS. What do you mean exactly by 'Current', 'Minimum', and 'Maximum' load situations? Is there a place where this is displayed?

>> Two readings I do not understand well in the preformance limit reasons section:

>> IA-PROCHOT YES

>> GT-PROCHOT YES

> First of all, it is expected that ALL reported values in this section are 'No' (which means, nothing is limiting the CPU's performance).

> These two values indicate an overheating problem with the CPU and/or its built-in graphics chip.

> I recommend you repeat the load test, and measure temperatures with https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ RealTemp (from my experience, RealTemp is the preferred tool for temperature monitoring; I've seen many other tools reporting

> wrong temperature values).

RealTemp displays the same low temperatures in the 18-22 °c range. And in the "CPU : Intel Core I7-6700K" section, HWInfo reports for each core "Thermal Throttling No". So It seems to me that the CPU is not overheating. Am I right>?

I have read that PROCHOT is a bidirectional signal so do I understand correctly that it can be set my the Mother Board? I have read some Mother Boards have a "Low Speed" switch to allow boot when too severely overclocked. I have not found one on mine.

What seems surprising to me is that Thermal throttling is happening while the proc temperature is still very low and the cores do not seem to be throttling. I would expect to see the temp higher at a threshold level triggering thermal throttling.Then am I correct if I assume that thermal throttling on my configuration is not triggered by the CPU which is cold but by the MB due to some yet unidentified reason?

>> A general question:

>> Is it normal that when I open BIOS before boot it reports a frequency of 800 Mhz? Why the processor does not start at full speed?

> This is not normal. Since this is happening without the OS being involved whatsoever, my conclusion is that

• either the CPU cooler is not working properly (does the fan spin?), not properly seated, or can't dissipate the generated heat (check if the thermal paste is (properly) applied)
  • or the CPU is defective, and throttling due to a non-existent overheating problem

The cooler fan does spin (at low speed except for a brief moment when I power on the system where it spins more rapidly)

I have reseated and applied fresh thermal paste after cleaning old with no result.

Am I correct if I expect to see higher CPU temperature if there was a cooling issue triggering throttling?

Im am therfore wondering if the MB triggers PROCHOT due to

- something wrong in system assembly or switches settings

- improperly configured BIOS (I have tried CLR CLOS and default settings as well as some manual settings)

-faulty MB

Other suggestions to track the source of the problem?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

>>> What do you mean exactly by 'Current', 'Minimum', and 'Maximum' load situations? Is there a place where this is displayed?

It's displayed in the right half of the 'Sensory only' report of HWInfo.

>>> RealTemp displays the same low temperatures in the 18-22 °c range. And in the "CPU : Intel Core I7-6700K" section, HWInfo reports for each core "Thermal Throttling No". So It seems to me that the CPU is not overheating. Am I right?

If HWInfo reports correct values here, then yes, it doesn't look like the CPU is overheating. Hence my deduction that the CPU might be defective in the sense that its sensors are signaling PROCHOT# although temperatures are just fine.

>>> I have read that PROCHOT is a bidirectional signal so do I understand correctly that it can be set my the Mother Board? I have read some Mother Boards have a "Low Speed" switch

>>> to allow boot when too severely overclocked. I have not found one on mine.

According to the respective specifications, PROCHOT# can indeed be signaled by external (Non-CPU) sources. A common source would be the board's VR (voltage regulator), since that component can run pretty hot, too. The question if that feature is supported / utilized by the ASUS Z170-Deluxe could probably only be answered by ASUS themselves.

However, there's an easy way to verify if overheating of an external component might cause your issue. Simply let a table fan blow into the open chassis of your machine, in a way that suspected component(s) are directly being ventilated. If the issue goes away when ventilating this way, you might be able to pin down the culprit.

If the issue remains, I'd still think that the CPU itself, more specifically, its temperature sensor(s), might be defective, incorrectly signaling PROCHOT# .

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Hi,

OK for current minimum maximum. I guess that by load situation you mean Total CPU usage. In which case HWinfo always reports

For all cores thermal throttling No

For all cores core ratio 8x

Still have to locate a table fan to try what you recommend.:-(

I have read that some people having BD-PROCHOT issues used the ThrottleStop utility from TechPowerup to disable the capability of the MB to set BD-PROCHOT but I am not sure if this is safe and apparently this utility does not support my CPU model (I tried V 6.0 in monitor only mode)

I notice that HWinfo reports on several temperature sensors of the MB

I have

Motherboard: Current 29°C Min 28°C Max 29°C

CPU : Current 28°C Min 27°C Max 28°C

Temp2 : Current 0°C Min 0°C Max 125°C

Temp3 : Current 50°C Min 50°C Max 50°C

Temp4 : Current 23°C Min 23°C Max 23°C

Temp5 : Current 28°C Min 28°C Max 28°C

Motheboard : Current 29°C Min 28°C Max 29°C (duplicate?) 

CPU (PECI) : Current 23°C Min 22°C Max 24°C

CPU: Current 28°C Min 26°C Max 29°C

I do not know what the Tempx correspond to but Temp2 results seem strange to me and could point to something overheating and triggering BD-PROCHOT

What do you think?

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

To me that Temp2 result looks more like an invalid reading due to a not connected sensor (this is a common issue with temperature monitoring in general - if no sensor is connected, or the sensor is defective, you'll see weird results).

Disabling PROCHOT signaling surely comes with a risk, since it disables one of the overheat protection features of the respective component. So doing that is a workaround at best, and IMHO a bad one.

0 Kudos
JBrig2
Beginner

Hi,

After a few days away, I am back on tracking my issue.

I read that disabling Bi Directional Prochot, would not endanger the CPU itself, it has apparently other internal protection mechanisms, but it could possibly hurt the MB if the MB is the one setting the signal.

I then decided to take a chance, I located the version of ThrottleStop compatible with my CPU and disables with it BD-Prochot. Immediately the CPU jumped to its higher frequency. In order to limit risk I re-enabled the signal immediately.

This seems to tell me that the signal is set by the MB whether because there is a problem somewhere on the MC not identified by the various diagnostic tools I used or because the board is defective.

What do you think?

0 Kudos
FHeik
New Contributor II

Yeah that's not impossible. Probably the best thing to do at this point is to RMA the mainboard. You could also post in http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us ASUS' respective support forum about your issue.

0 Kudos