12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 10:54 AM by Intel Corporation

LG TV Not Signal

cvananden

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this isn't the right section. I've recently purchased the NUC5i5RYH and have it all set-up. I set it up originally, using my cheaper insignia tv via mini hdmi to hdmi cable. I set it up with OpenElec and tried it on my LG tv. I couldn't get a signal. I then thought, ok, maybe OpenElec is the problem. I went back and formatted my drive and am now running Windows 10. I went back to my LG TV and it still is saying "no signal".

The TV - LG42LW5300

The Nuc - NUC5i5RYH

OS - Windows 10

I've tried using the mini hdmi to hdmi on all 3 hdmi inputs on the tv. Once, it worked briefly and I have no idea how - as I didn't do anything different. Since then I always get no signal. I've tried a mini dp cable to hdmi, have no signal. I even tried a mini hdmi adapter to a bunch of different hdmi cables and still no signal.

I've disabled simplink on the tv, as I thought that could be the issue. The graphics drivers are up to date on the device and it runs fine on my smaller, cheaper tv. I've tried having the NUC off, with the tv on and to the input, and it wouldn't work. I tried having the nuc on, and the tv off and then turning it on and changing to the input, I've also tried having the tv on an input like the cable box, and then switching back. I've tried putting the NUC in standy. Whatever I do, I can't get the LG TV to have a signal. What it does do, is if I plug something into any of the hdmi inputs, the tv does recognize that something was plugged in and asks to switch to the input. I do so...then it just says "connecting" and eventually I end up with "no signal".

For the life of me, I can't figure out what is going on and this is quickly turning into a fairly decent waste of money for me, as I intended the device to be a Kodi box, among other things. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue could be?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: LG TV Not Signal
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello cvananden,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

I understand that you tried this Intel® NUC with another monitor and it works fine so here the problem is with the connection to this TV that you have.

Are you using a high quality cable?

I suggest trying the latest High Speed HDMI™ Cable as it is requested by your TV manufacturer, you can download the Manuals & Documents for your TV at:
          http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-42LW5300
          You can see this information on page 81
          NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 2. Re: LG TV Not Signal
            cvananden

Hi Ivan,

I currently have one of the Amazon cables attached (http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-2-Pack/dp/B00L3KNY22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458768225&sr=8-2&k…)

I've also tried a monster cable. The cables work with every other device of mine. Cable Box, Roku, Android TV. I can even use an older macbook with a mini dp port to hdmi and it works. The only thing I own that doesn't work with the tv is currently the NUC.

Best,

Chris

• 3. Re: LG TV Not Signal
              Kassiopeia

In my experience this is a HDMI handshake problem. First of all I would check if I had installed the newest NUC BIOS and LG Firmware.

It sounds strange... then I would try to find an old HDMI cable (1.3). Sometimes new features in 1.4 like 3D and the audio return channel can make some trouble.

Then I would power on both devices and try to unplug an plug the HDMI cable.

Then I would try to use a HDMI splitter. Sometimes a device in between can help for better "handshaking". Perhaps you have an HDMI splitter or an AV-Receiver with HDMI input/output.

Last try with less chance: Connect your NUC to a monitor with DP and with the HDMI to TV. Then try to clone the image and perhaps try to play with the refreshing rate settings in Windows for the LG TV (if Windows detects it).

Greetings Christian

• 4. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                cvananden

I can confirm that the NUC has the latest BIOS (this was my first thing to check) I also made sure video drivers were up to date. After some googling, I did see to check my TV firmware. That is up to date as well.

I'll try looking for a 1.3 cable, this seems a little more difficult as I've noticed they're not always well marked for their version. If you happen to have one you can recommend, that'd be helpful. I've searched amazon, and things come up, but they aren't necessarily clear.

I have tried all of the powering and unplugging scenarios possible. They didn't work.

I'm also going to purchase an hdmi splitter off of amazon and see if maybe that helps. I don't expect it to, but it's worth the shot.

• 5. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                  rogressem

I may be out in left field here, but my son has never been able to get his Dell laptop to successfully connect to his 5500 series LG TV via HDMI, but it connects to every other TV he has tried.   He brought his laptop home, and it has the same problem with our 5600 series LG tv, but not with our Panasonic or Samsung TVs.   I think there is something peculiar about some of the LG TVs, but I'm not really sure.

When I get a chance, I'll try my NUC on our LG TV and report back.

• 6. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                    Intel Corporation

Hi rogressem,

I will appreciate if you could let us know how it goes when connecting the nuc to your LG TV, your collaboration on this thread will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ivan

• 7. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                      cvananden

Thanks rogressem. Keep us posted.

For what it's worth, I purchased the following items. They all claim to be hdmi 1.3, so we'll see if that makes a difference, as all of my other cables should be newer. I can't imagine that a 1.4 cable is causing these issues, but I'd rather test this than have an overpriced paperweight.

hdmi splitter - http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Splitter-Certified-Bandwidth/dp/B002WP2QGM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_…

hdmi cable - http://www.amazon.com/Link-Depot-HS-6-HDMI1-3-6-Gold-Plated/dp/B005HYDNUI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detail…

If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas. I find it strange that any device I own can work on the LG TV, other than a computer, which leads me to believe that the issue is on the computers side and having issues handshaking with the tv.

• 8. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                        swimmerbird123

I have the 5i5RYH connected to a LG 55ec9300 via HDMI and it works OK.  I leave the NUC on and connected to the TV all the time and turn the TV on and off as needed.  Sometimes (but not often) if I haven't used the NUC in a few days, I get the 'no signal' message.  I think it is due to some kind of time-out or power-down of the LG port, because if I shift the cables (plug the NUC into a different input, or plug a different device into the input where the NUC had been), it gets the signal back.  When I first got the NUC, I had problems getting a signal on the TV.  The cable would work once, and then not work on subsequent sessions. Same thing with a new HDMI cable.  Same thing with DP.  I don't remember exactly how it got fixed.  New graphics drivers were tried, and I now use a Redmere Ultra-Slim cable (item 9427 from Monoprice).  I love the thin flexible cable, although it is directional so the correct end has to be plugged into the TV.  Could it be that your cable is too 'complicated' with Ethernet and ARC signals too?  And have you tried a hard reset of the TV?

Swimmer

• 9. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                          cvananden

I did wonder if the ethernet being in the cable mattered myself. I tried another cable, which to my knowledge, doesn't support ethernet and it didn't seem to work. I don't believe the link depot cable I ordered last night supports anything fancy. I don't know about finding a cable in 2016 that doesn't support ARC though.

• 10. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                            cvananden

Checking back in with everyone.

So, I tried the new cable that just arrived from Amazon. It seemed about as dumbed down as it could be, it was very thin and basic. Didn't work.

I then tried the hdmi splitter (http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Splitter-Certified-Bandwidth/dp/B002WP2QGM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

This seems to fix it. Any cable I tried after that worked. I tried a mini hdmi to the splitter, with about 4 different hdmi cables, they all worked. I tried a display port cable from the nuc to the splitter, then using all of the previous hdmi cables that wouldn't work - it worked.

It seems like there is an issue with handshaking and for some reason, the splitter seems to resolve this. I'm not sure where the fault is here, as it seems there is an issue with the standard and handshaking, and it's unfortunate that I have to use an accessory device like the splitter to utilize the ports. However, it's at least working.

Your mileage may vary and I'll check in after using it for an extended period of time to see if an issue happens.

Best,

Chris

• 11. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                              Kassiopeia

Hi Chris,

thx for your experience. Yes, its an handshake issue. Intel will say "Not our fault, we use "the" HDMI standard". And LG will say the same.

Greetings Christian

• 12. Re: LG TV Not Signal
                                Intel Corporation

In this case I suggest using one of the hdmi splitter cvananden is trying above. It seems to fine.

I know this is not the solution you would like and you can also see some HDMI handshake troubleshooting at:
                                http://site.hdtvsupply.com/hdcp1.html
                                NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.  

Regards,

Ivan