1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 9:20 AM by Intel Corporation

Kernel modification for Edison seems not work

chinjz

I download the source code from IoT - Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone and after initial steps run the following,

1. source poky/oe-init-build-env

2. bitbake virtual/kernel -c menuconfig

enabled ads1015 device driver

3. cp tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17-r0/linux-edison-standard-build/.config ../../../meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig

4. cp tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17-r0/linux-edison-standard-build/.config tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17-r0/linux/arch/x86/configs/i386_edison_defconfig

5. bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure -f -v

6. bitbake edison-image

7. ../../../meta-intel-edison/utils/flash/postBuild.sh

8. copy the toFlash/* to the disk mapping by edison

Then I flash the Edison board using reboot ota.

But it is noted that kernel is not changed.

Also find that after bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure -f -v ,i386_edison_defconfig file and menuconfig are changing back. Also the modification i have done in the driver file is also reverted.

I'm following the instructions in edisonbsp_ug_331188007.pdf and using edison-src-ww25.5-15.tgz source code.

How should I do kernel modification and make them affect? Please help me.

• 1. Re: Kernel modification for Edison seems not work
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello chinjz,

In step 4, why are you coping the .config file into tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17-r0/linux/arch/x86/configs/i386_edison_defconfig?
          I also noticed that after step 3 (if we skip step 4) you didn't modify <edison-src>/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-core/images/edison-image.bb to add your module to the recipe. You can add the line IMAGE_INSTALL += "package-name" to add the package to the build of Edison’s image. After adding that line you should be able to build the image with the driver included. Also, make sure that you are not missing any dependency for the driver otherwise it won't work. You can check the dependencies of a particular package in menuconfig.

Peter.