1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 8:52 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem

jeanfr

Hi,

I have NUC6i5SYH (with BIOS 36) + Intel SSD
      I use the latest version of LinuxMint (fork Ubuntu) 17.3 cinnamon 64bit
      This uses the Linux kernel 3.19.0-32

I think the graphics card is not recognized correctly with this core.
      I occasionally artifacts.

When I try a Linux kernel (which manages Skylake) 4.2 or 4.4 is worse.
      The machine is inoperable because I artifacts all the time. With freeze also.

Are you aware of this?
      Does the bios No. 39 corrects this?
      Is there a change log of the bios 39 somewhere?

Regards,

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, jeanfr:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

While Intel has not tested and validated Intel® NUC with any Linux distributions, we have plenty of positive reports from our NUC owners.

In order to get support on this, the recommendation would be to check you OS's forums.

Regards,

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
            jeanfr

Hello and thank you for your return.

I stand here precisely because the distribution in question do not understand.
            It is strange stuff.

Besides that you think that updating the bios is necessary if I am to version 36?

Regards,

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
              buzzrobot

You'll likely find that even with the minimal Skylake support in the 4.4 kernels, Mint is simply too old for this hardware since it is based on Ubuntu 14.04.

My NUC6i5SYH is working reasonably well on the not-yet-released Ubuntu 16.04 with a 4.5 kernel from their kernel PPA and an updated Mesa and Intel driver from an Ubuntu staging PPA. Without those, on a 4.4 kernel, the system locks up very quickly, requiring a power recycle to recover. I've seen identical behavior on Fedora with its 4.4 kernel and the Mesa and Intel drivers shipping with Fedora 23.

I expect (hope?) these units will be adequately supported by the 4.6 kernel when it is released. Even then, it's likely to be some months before distributions begin to ship with it.

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                jeanfr

Hi,

Yes quite LinuxMint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04

Moreover it is the Ubuntu LTS acutelle.

LinuxMint 18 released in May or June 2016. It will be based on the version of ubuntu 16.04.

It is unfortunate that the linux kernel 4.2 and 4.4 do not work properly with this platform.

But is it not possible with mint 17.3 (and its kernel 3.19.0-32) install official video drivers from Intel?

if so is it going to work?

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                  jeanfr

I'm a little disappointed.

In fact, I bought it because it is NUC after the site intel perfectly compatible with LinuxMint. :

Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC6I5SYH

Obviously this is not the case, at least not yet.

Furthermore Intel contributes to Linux kernel development. Why is it outdated for Skylake platform?

Can you explain me please

Thank you

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                    yuvadm

You should receive official support from your distros community, but in the meantime maybe you can gain some knowledge from how things work in Arch Linux

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_NUC

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                      buzzrobot

You'll notice the hardware is certified to work with Windows 10 and 8.1.  This means it has been tested and shown to meet Microsoft's standards.

The word "compatibility" (with an asterisk) is used for Linux. As far as I know, there is no hardware certification program for Linux.  It really isn't practical given the large number of distributions, the lack of anyone to pay for it, the existence of several official supported kernels at any given time, and the fact the distributions, especially the major distributions, modify the kernels they ship.

If there was such a project, what was found to work today might not work after the next batch of updates.

And, remember, Microsoft has as much of an interest in making sure Windows runs on these NUC's as Intel. Linux distributions, frankly, don't share that interest. In Mint's case, when Canonical packages a kernel, a driver, and a Mesa stack that fully support Skylake, then Mint will use them. In the meantime, Mint is going to do nothing to ensure the 17.3 release works on your NUC or mine.

If I was trying to use Mint 17.3, I would enable all the update tiers and I would install the latest kernel listed in Mint's updater. (I'd guess it's the 4.4 kernel recently released for Ubuntu 14.04.04.)  The Arch wiki has some Skylake workarounds that may be useful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Skylake_Support

On the Ubuntu 16.04 pre-release, I'm using the 22 March "Daily" kernel from the Ubuntu kernel team's PPA (4.5.0-999-generic #201603222200), pre-release testing versions of Mesa, Xserver, and the Intel driver from a Canonical staging PPA (https://launchpad.net/~canonical-x/+archive/ubuntu/x-staging) and the "i915.enable_rc6=0" kernel parameter. This configuration has been stable, but there's no guarantee, of course, about tomorrow.

Intel is, as you say, a important contributor to Linux and a well-regarded community member.  Hardware, especially new CPU's, are seldom, if ever, perfectly or even adequately supported on release across the board in Linux.  Even if tomorrow Linus Torvalds released a kernel that supported the Skylake chips completely, it would be weeks and months before it was shipped by distributions.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                        jeanfr

Hello,

I understand your explanation. Thank you.

For my tests I did:
                        - Installing linux kernel last 4.4 (or 4.2) and I have lightweight freeze + artifacts
                        - I tested i915.preliminary_hw_support = 1 and freeze at startup

it does not work in both cases.
                        Is it a symptom of the problem WHEA Errors for linux? 
                        or should I wait LinuxMint18 (or latest version of Ubuntu)?

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                          buzzrobot

As far as I know, the WHEA issue is showing up only on Windows.

I believe Ubuntu 16.04 will ship with the same updated Mesa, Xserver and Intel driver that I'm currently using from that Canonical PPA.  Mint will likely release 18.0 about a month later.  Ubuntu will ship with a 4.4 kernel and Mint will almost certainly ship with the same kernel.  You could try either with or without kernel parameters.  If problems remain, you could manually add a newer kernel from the kernel PPA. I plan to just upgrade through to the release version of 16.04, but expect to continue using a kernel from the PPA as long as necessary.

Remember you don't need to install Ubuntu or most other Linux distributions to test them.  Boot them in live mode to check hardware compatibility.  You can interrupt the boot to add things like kernel parameters.

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                            jeanfr

WHEA appears to be a hardware problem. That's pretty vague I must say.
                            But intel communicates on the subject:

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/i.aspx/B5452385-FB3E-4336-ABCE-7F2A53447FCC/PCN114478-00.pdf

Yes I'll wait for the next release of mint or ubuntu.

I do not know the direct mode. What is it about ?

Thank you

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                              lothar

I've had my NUC6i5syk for 2 weeks now and have been running Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE 64 bit.  My experience.

Upon my initial install I had no wireless or bluetooth and I was having graphics artifacts. This was with the installed kernal of 3.19.0-32

I updated the kernel to 4.4.0-13 but that didn't work at all, wouldn't even boot to the OS. so I backed off and went to 4.2.0-30 and that fixed my problems.  I now have wireless, bluetooth and all graphics problems went away.

To date the only problem I am having is that my new 4k monitor that is plugged in using display part doesn't wake from sleep.  But I'll save that problem for another thread.

Hope that helps

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                                lothar

I should also mention that I have been using BIOS 0028 until today, I was having trouble upgrading but thanks to users of this forum I am now on 0039 and everything is still working great.

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                                  jeanfr

Thank you for your lothar return.

I have not tried all versions of Kernel. I remember having tried both. A 4.2 and a 4.4 without success.
                                  I tried your version and I would say if it works for me.

I also spent bios 39. It does not seem to have seen the difference with 36.

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH and LinuxMint (fork ubuntu) - graphics problem
                                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

Thank you all Linux peers in the communities for the support provided on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

1 2 Previous Next