Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

HD4400 can't get black bars if using 16:9 resolution on a 16:10 screen (every game is stretched)

GGrof
Beginner

The issue I'm having is hopefully clear from the thread title. I have a 16:10 monitor (Acer v193w using VGA port, max supported res is 1440x900), the latest intel drivers. The game in question is Dota 2 and the reason I want to use 16:9 aspect ratio is that the said ratio has a larger FOV than 16:10 does. I have already tried selecting Maintain aspect ration (and all the other settings available) from the graphics option but the game will still get stretched if my desktop is set to use my monitors native resolution and aspect ratio (16:10). The only way of getting black bars instead of games being unnaturally stretched is if I set my desktop resolution to 1280x720, select maintain display aspect ratio from the graphics option and then open the game (however I have to set the game to borderless window or else it'll get stretched). Is there any other way of getting black bars? I'd really rather not go thru the process of changing my desktop resolution every time I want to play something in 16:9 (or 4:3).

i3 4150

HD4400 (latest drivers)

4GB RAM

MSI P33-H81 motherboard

Acer v193w (vonnect via VGA port as it doesn't have DVI or HDMI)

--------

I just did a bit more testing and found out that if I use 1360x768 or 1280x600 (both are 16:9) I get black bars. 1360x768 is a bit too much for the HD4400 to handle and I lose a lot of FPS and 1280x600 has very low height which in return gives two huge black bars. I don't understand why 1280x720 which would be perfect both in terms of FPS and black bar size won't work but every other resolution does.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like you to test the workarounds provided here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675322 http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675322

1. Change screen size with the in-game options.

2. Hit the windows Key and select computer only.

Additionally, you could test the behavior of your system with the latest generic drivers from Intel®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400-for-4th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

Please make sure you select the correct OS version before downloading the driver.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

EstebanC

0 Kudos
GGrof
Beginner

Unfortunately neither of the solutions have helped, the latest drivers have already been installed but I've tried reinstalling them. It almost seems as if the 1280x720 resolution is mislabeled as being 16:10 aspect ratio somewhere in the drivers. If you have any other suggestions please do post them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

Thank you for your answer on this.

I would like to request some additional information regarding this in order to perform some tests on my own.

-CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4150 Processor

-Motherboard Model: MSI H81M-P33

-RAM: 4GB

-Current graphics driver used:

-Tested graphics drivers so far:

-Current resolution used:

-Games that have this issue: (Please provide specific titles)

-What is the resolution used in-game?

-If possible, provide us with a screenshot of the graphical settings currently used in the affected games.

-Are you using an external graphics card in your system?

-If possible, please provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility report of your PC: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

If any related information could help us as per your thoughts, please add it in your answer.

I look forward to your reply on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
GGrof
Beginner

-CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-4150 Processor

-Motherboard Model: MSI H81M-P33

-Current graphics driver used: 10.18.14.4332

-Tested graphics drivers so far: 10.18.14.4332

-Current resolution used: 1440x900 (that is my desktop resolution)

-Games that have this issue: (Please provide specific titles): Dota 2

-What is the resolution used in-game? 1280x720

-If possible, provide us with a screenshot of the graphical settings currently used in the affected games. http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/295357583642034640/CC48DC963B85B09A4A11F686021AE2E93FA9A38A/ http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/295357583642034640/CC48DC963B85B09A4A11F686021AE2E93FA9A38A/

-Are you using an external graphics card in your system? No

The screenshot of the settings shows the settings that I use to get aspect ratio scaling to work as intended as I also mentioned in the posts above I have to set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 otherwise the game will be stretched no matter what settings I use in game. No issues with other 16:9 resolutions, they all scale correctly (black borders on top and bottom as it should be). I've attached my system info as you requested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

Thank you for the information provided.

I will be performing some tests on my end and then I will be providing you with my outcome.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

So I performed some tests with the nearest configuration available from our end.

System configuration used to test this:

-CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4330 Processor // Intel® HD Graphics 4600

-Motherboard Model: z97 gaming 7

-Tested graphics drivers: 10.18.14.4332

-Current resolution used: 1440x900 Replicated in our system

-Games that have this issue: (Please provide specific titles): Dota 2

-What is the resolution used in-game? 1280x720 (keeping 1440x900)

The outcome:

I was able to get a regular overview of the game while using the settings you provided us.

The monitor is not 16:10 native but I did set it as 1440x900 that is the resolution used by you.

How to test:

-Check the behavior of your system with "Scale full Screen" as well as "center image"

Here you can find some screenshots from the tests performed and the settings used.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
GGrof
Beginner

I think you misunderstood me. Instead of having black bars as it should the game is stretched when playing on 720p using 16:10 monitor, any other 16:9 resolution displays correctly (with black bars, that's how it should be when maintain aspect ratio is selected). I've already posted the only way I found of getting around the issue, but it requires changing my desktop resolution before starting the game and selecting borderless window in game options (which makes me lose a couple of FPS).

You should test on a 16:10 monitor, there's no way for the issue to appear on a 16:9 since 720p is a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution and it will be displayed correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

I understand, thank you for the clarification on the scenario and how it should be tested.

As of now in our lab a monitor with 16:10 natively is not available, let me verify with other teams to check the possible availability of a monitor with this spec so we can perform the tests on our end.

Please provide me with some time to get this checked.

I will be providing you with my outcome on the tests.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Additionally, I would like you to replicate the issue and provide me with some pictures (not screenshots) of the display with the issue, this is to have a clearer image or expectation of what to replicate.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
GGrof
Beginner

Here are the pictures, don't mind the blurriness I was using my phones camera.

This is what they show (pictures are numbered):

ingame settings are set to 720p exclusive fullscreen and the desktop resolution is set to it's native 1440x900. As you can see the game is stretched, it should have black bars since maintain aspect ratio is selected in Intel HD options.

2,3 and 4

is how the game looks when I change my desktop resolution to 720p and change the ingame settings to use borderless window instead of fullscreen (this is the only way of getting black bars on 720p resolution that I found). As I stated in my previous post I will get black bars (no need to change desktop resolution or put ingame settings to borderless window) if I use any other 16:9 resolution available (1360x768 or 1366x768)

5 and 6

even when I set the game to 1280x600 I have no issue in getting black bars (although they are huge and make the game unplayable), no need to change the desktop resolution or put the game in borderless window

As you can see the problem appears only when using 720p, every other 16:9 resolution keeps it's aspect ration without needing to change any ingame or desktop setting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

Great, thank you for the pictures provided.

As soon as I get an outcome on this, I will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Grof:

This is to provide you with the results on the testing performed.

Tested this behavior using Intel HD 520 graphics, along with a 16:10 HP monitor, model EliteDisplay E242 (max resolution 1900x1200, but tested also with 1440x900).

As per the tests, the graphics drivers are working as expected, please refer to the information below:

- Driver is set as "Maintain Aspect Ratio"

- Screen resolution is set as 1280x720 in Windows. Windows desktop and other apps are displayed in 720p with black bars, thus the driver is sizing correctly the 720p resolution in 16:10 aspect ratio.

- Launched DOTA2. If resolution within the game is set as "Use my monitor's current resolution" then we get black bars along with 720p resolution. Demonstrating that the driver is communicating correctly the 720p resolution to the game.

- The interesting data we discovered is that this can also be duplicated with a Nvidia GTX 970M (drivers 364.72)

- This leads us to believe there is a problem in the way the game is handling the 720p resolution when the display resolution in Windows is set to a higher value.

Recommendations from our side:

- Contact the game developer at: http://www.valvesoftware.com/games/dota2.html http://www.valvesoftware.com/games/dota2.html

- In the meantime, before launching the game, set screen resolution to 720p with Maintain Aspect Ratio. Within the game config, select "Use my monitor's current resolution"

- We will continue to explore if something else can be done from a drivers perspective, yet the best suggestion for the moment is to contact the game developer.

Hope this gets a clearer understanding of the scenario to you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos