cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 400GB "estimated life remaining" dropping quickly

MOsbo2
New Contributor

I've been using an Intel 750 400GB as my OS drive for the past 2-3 months now, and I was surprised to find that the "estimated life remaining" has already dropped to 89%. To give an idea of the rate of decline, it dropped from 91% to 89% in the last 2 weeks.

I think my write workload is fairly light: aside from the initial Windows setup where I installed software and games, I don't put a lot of throughput on this drive. My previous Intel SSD was put under a similar workload for many years and remains at 99% life remaining.

I have used 76.13GB out of the total 372.06GB usable space (~20% used).

Does anyone have any ideas? Some system info is below, and the exported output from the Intel SSD Toolbox is attached. Thanks!

System information:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming (chipset: Intel Z170 Express)

CPU: Intel i7-6700K

SSD: Intel 750 Series AIC 400GB SSDPEDMW400G4X1 (installed in a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot)

SSD firmware version: 8EV10174

NVMe driver version: 1.3.0.1007

TRIM: enabled (verified via fsutil)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zoh,

According to the file you attached with logs, we can determine the Minimum erase cycles are 272 and the Maximum erase cycles 343, that gives you an average erase cycles of 306, that is why the wear leveling count is at 89%.

We can also check, there is something in the system that keeps writing data in your SSD, the Host Bytes Written are around 100TB, you can check this link: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf on page 11 for the information about the endurance rating, which is 70GB per day.

Let us know if you have more questions about it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zoh,

According to the file you attached with logs, we can determine the Minimum erase cycles are 272 and the Maximum erase cycles 343, that gives you an average erase cycles of 306, that is why the wear leveling count is at 89%.

We can also check, there is something in the system that keeps writing data in your SSD, the Host Bytes Written are around 100TB, you can check this link: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf on page 11 for the information about the endurance rating, which is 70GB per day.

Let us know if you have more questions about it.

MOsbo2
New Contributor

nestor,

Thank you for helping me interpret the "Host Bytes Written" attribute. Can you explain how the value "3849994" corresponds to ~100TB written?

With that knowledge, I used Windows's Resource Monitor to watch disk activity and found that MSI's motherboard control software ("MSI Command Center 2.0.0.22") has been writing roughly 350 MB/sec, continuously, at all times. All it's supposed to do is monitor fan speeds and CPU temperature.

My experiences with MSI products have been terrible, but so far they have all been resolved by RMA/replacement through MSI. This time, though, I'm on my own, because they damaged a totally separate component from a different vendor. I'm very frustrated, and I don't think there's anything I can do.

Thank you again for your help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

zoh,

In order to get the value of Host Bytes Written it is very important to know the Host sectors written divided by 65536 (1 count = 32 MiB). This means the value you have in the Host Bytes Written needs to be multiply by 32, same happens with the Nand Bytes Written, after you get the result then you just divide by 1024 so you can get the GB value and once again divide by 1024 to get TB.

Please let us know if you require more assistance.