5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 12:28 PM by Amy_Intel

Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo

juvi97

Hey all,

I have an intel core i7-3630 QM in my Lenovo Y580 laptop, and until recently it worked fine. However I have recently discovered that my processor no longer enters turbo mode, and doesn't even indicate that such a thing is possible on my computer's info page:

Gyazo - 624debf0ee66ede373a819753df9f03b.png

I have tried looking at the bios settings to see if any options were turned off, and no such options exist at all. Does anybody know of any ways to fix this issue?

Thank you!

Viju

• 1. Re: Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo
          Amy_Intel

Hello, juvi97:

This feature will be reached when need it, there is no option to turn it on or off. The maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software, and overall system configuration.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
          • Number of active cores
          • Estimated current consumption
          • Estimated power consumption
          • Processor temperature

For further reference visit Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo
            juvi97

Hi Amy_Intel,

Thank you for your response! I have a few questions though:

1) It seems as though my processor never exceeds the 2.4 GHz limit, in any situation. Perhaps you have a tool I could use to try and force turbo mode to activate?

2) My processor doesn't even claim to have a turbo mode any more - before, on the page I linked earlier, it stated that the processor could reach 2.4GHz 3.4 GHz. Now, as I highlighted in the image, it says 2.4 and 2.4. Furthermore, I believe the task manager used to point out that the processor has a max of 3.3 GHz, but now it says 2.4 is the max.

So it seems like there's more to the problem than this - thoughts?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo
              Amy_Intel
              1. There is a tool to track the max Turbo Frequency, but it is out of support and can only be found on third party webpages. See here for it Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Monitor FAQ and Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.6 Download - TechSpot**
              2. Make sure that the feature is enabled in your BIOS configuration, I would recommend checking with your computer manufacturer in order to double check if it is on or off.

Regards,

**The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

• 4. Re: Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo
                juvi97

Hi,

I can give the turbo boost monitor a try.

As far as bios, as I mentioned in my first post I am unable to find turbo boost in the intel tab of my bios. Do you have any advice on how I can find it?

Thank you

• 5. Re: Intel Core i7-3630 QM - no turbo
                  Amy_Intel

Alright, let me know if the tool was helpful.

In this case you will have to get in contact with your computer manufacturer in order to check if the feature is available and how to enable or disable it.

Regards,