7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 10:51 AM by Intel Corporation

Another dead NUC6i5SYH

pmanon

Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Got it on the 10th, along with a single Kingston HyperX 8GB module (don't need more) and a Samsung 850 Evo. Updated from 0028 to 0036 as first order of business. Was running pretty stable until yesterday. I don't know about WHEA, since I don't run windows (it's mainly a HTPC with Kodi under Linux). There was only one problem, but I'm pretty sure it was Linux specific (a kworker would take up 100% CPU when inserting a SD card, pretty sure it's unrelated).

Then on friday there was a crash. Nothing in the logs, just a freeze. Yesterday there were 3. Again, I have to stress, since the TV is not always on, I couldn't catch it immediately. I'd only see that nginx or samba wouldn't respond, and that the machine dropped off the network. Then about 2 hours ago I'd want to see what was going on this time, but lo and behold, nothing was going to the TV. Tried power cycling, nothing. "This isn't funny" I thought to myself. "Maybe the HDMI port is dying", so I dug up a mDP to HDMI converter which i use for my macs. We got visual! Onto the BIOS we go. Nothing suspicious there, rebooted, and the video was gone yet again. Now nothing worked.

Opened up a support ticket, probably going to RMA the unit, but this is kind of disappointing. Thankfully I haven't fully decommissioned my previous HTPC yet, but hopefully my next unit will come with the hardware fixes that have been just recently posted for this unit.

• 1. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, pmanon:

I understand your concerns about this, but let's perform some troubleshooting to find a possible source of the issue on this scenario.

I would like to know, have you updated the BIOS in your system, an update has been uploaded recently in our download center.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25864/BIOS-Update-SYSKLi35-86A-?product=89190

Additionally, have you tested the behavior of your system with one of the supported operating systems noted here?: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

• 2. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
            pmanon

@Hi

I can't update the BIOS to 0039 - there's no response from the unit at all, not even beeps upon longpressing the power button (it shuts down shortly after turning on). I tried flashing it via the recovery method (the jumper) but that prooved fruitless.

As for the OS - I don't run Windows at all. Up until the unit responded it ran sysrescueCD, Ubuntu and Gentoo successfully. I am still awaiting a response from Intel support to my opened ticket.

• 3. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
              gd-angel

Your report worries me a little, as I am also one of those folks who kicked the Windows habit a few years ago and have no desire to go back.  I also got a successfully running install of Mint on my NUC for a couple weeks now and thought I was in the clear. 

The question I have is whether you installed Linux in BIOS or UEFI mode?  Not that I really understand the technical differences, but BIOS seems to come up in a lot of the troubleshooting, and I thought UEFI was supposed to be the newer standard that replaced BIOS.  Are they talking about a simulated BIOS under UEFI, or was it actually installed in BIOS mode?

Just curious, but might proved insightful down the road if I experience anything similar down the road...  

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
                pmanon

Full on UEFI mode, i disable Legacy boot from the get go, as I know I won't be using it. Besides, in these new machines what you call "BIOS" is actually a CSM - compatibility services module, basically emulates BIOS under UEFI.

Also, the Windows people with WHEA errors also run under UEFI.

• 5. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
                  Intel Corporation

Hello, pmanon:

Is this happening with an specific task you are performing with the unit?

Have you checked in the Linux forums for possible users having this scenario?

Any peer that is Linux experienced, is more than welcome to participate in this thread as well.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
                    pmanon

Esteban, come on. These are low tier questions. I've explained in my original post, that my NUC is *dead*. As in *doesn't boot* at all. Or how Monty Python would have put it:

It's passed on! This NUC is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed it to the perch it'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is electronic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-NUC!!

In other news I'm shipping my defective unit back to intel. I wonder how long the next one will live?

• 7. Re: Another dead NUC6i5SYH
                      Intel Corporation

Hello, pmanon:

I apologize for the confusion, I was requesting more information about what happened with that "crash" looking for possible errors codes, blinking codes, or any specific behavior of the system that could have helped us to better troubleshoot the issue.

I understand that you already requested an RMA for the unit, if this is not the case, do not hesitate to contact Intel Customer Support to get this done: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

If by any chance you require any further information or support from our side, feel free to contact the Intel Communities again.

Regards,
                      Esteban C