6 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 10:28 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport

smicroz

HI, Intel NUC6i3SYH support 1920x1080 120hz? Thanks Eduardo

• 1. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, smicroz:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Here you can find the resolutions supported for the DisplayPort in the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH.

Page 22 and 23: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25507/eng/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Regards,
          Esteban C

• 2. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
            Intel Corporation

Hello, smicroz:

I was checking this thread, and I would like to know if the information provided was useful for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

reso 6nuc.PNG

Regards,
            Esteban C

• 3. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
              smicroz

Thanks! (We need more hz to reduce eyestrain when reading or when windows are moved :D) Rgds, Eduardo

• 4. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
                Lokutos

Hi Esteban,

You keep quoting this part of the technical documentation, but this really doesn't answer the questions usually asked. The doc only specifies the maximum supported resolutions. The question was about a specific resolution (lower than the max) and refresh rate.

smicroz: 1080p@120 is supported on both DisplayPort and HDMI. I have tried this myself.

intel_corp: The technical document should be updated to specify the limits more generally. My guess is there is a pixel clock limit per DP stream and per HDMI port (only dependant on the port version supported, in this case DP 1.2 and HDMI1.4b) and a total pixel clock limit by the graphics chip, so that all streams / ports combined must be below that total pixel clock limit. With this information one could calculate easily which resolution / refresh rate combinations are supported. E.g. is 1080p@120 over HDMI plus 2k@120 over DP supported?

• 5. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
                  Intel Corporation

Hello, Lokutos:

Thank you all for you input with this.

Let me get this reviewed, regarding the information related to resolutions to possibly get more information in the TPS (Technical Product Specification)

I will keep you posted.

Regards,
                  Esteban C

• 6. Re: NUC6i3SYH 1920x1080 120hz displayport
                    Intel Corporation

Hello, Lokutos:

A little more detailed information regarding how the resolutions and refresh rates are handled.

As per DP 1.2 (HBR2) specification (page 38 of 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1), one that Skylake complies with, max DP bandwidth is 21.6 Gbit/s, from that, max available for video is 17.28 Gbit/s (after removing resources neede for other functions). Thus any mode that doesn't max out the available bandwidth should work. Examples:

- One 4096 x 2160 (4K) at 60 frames per second (hertz)
                    - One 3840 x 2160 (4K) at 60 frames per second (hertz)
                    - Up to two 2560 x 1600 up to 60 frames per second (hertz), or one monitor up to 120 hz
                    - Lower resolutions and the ones in between.
                    - A variety of mix and match resolutions like one 2560 x 1600 and two 1920 x 1080, etc, as long as the total resolution is below the total bandwidth available.
                    - The maximum number of monitors than can be connected is 3.

For HDMI 1.4a max bandwitdh is 10 Gbit/s
                    For HDMI 2.0 max bandwitdh is 18Gbit/s

In this case, as Lokutos indicates, this should be doable.

Here you can find a useful webiste where you can find a Bandwidth Calculator to know wether or not your configuration exceeds the bandwidth available on this platform.
                    http://www.kramerelectronics.com/support/bwcalculator.asp

Hope this gets a clearer overview of what is happening in the background.

6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,
                    Esteban C