Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Issues with Intel i7 4790k

MS7
Beginner

So after a fresh install of windows 8.1, my CPU still does an odd thing and I have no idea what that is, if anyone has any idea?

Thread 0 goes to 100% all of a suddeny and freezes up all my computer even though the overall usage is about 30% for the CPU.

It does that for a while then it goes back to normal.

The freezing causes stuttering which is very annoying when I'm in game. It's unplayable..

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz, 1,3V (OC), GPU: GTX 970 4GB 256bit Windforce edition, Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 RAM: Corsair 12 GB RAM,

Storage: Two Intel 180gb SSD, a Seagate 2TB SSHD and a Seagate 1TB HDD.

PSU: Zalman 700W

All USB (4x 2.0 and 2x 3.0) are occupied by three gamepads, mouse, keyboard, headset)

What I've tried before posting here:

- Tried with windows 10 and windows 7 (same issue).

- Monitoring with task manager, all users.

- Spybot, malware bytes, avast, avira, bitdefender scans.

- Tried with Overclock and without Overclock.

- Disabled Turbo Boost.

- Checked all my hard drivers for errors / issues.

- Checked the cpu with various softwares including intel's for issues.

- Checked the RAM for issues.

- Tried booting in safe mode / minimal.

- Updated BIOS

- Updated / Downgraded nVidia drivers.

What else can I do so this issue stops, it's ridiculous. I paid a large amount of money (for me) for this product and it shouldnt do this.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MS7
Beginner

bump

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Sherbmeister:

My apologies for any inconvenience that this product could have caused. Let's try replacing the processor, so please contact us at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support in order to check the replacement options for your Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MS7
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Amy, I'm a bit nervous to send the product, with the fear that you guys will send it back the same and would make me pay for the transport aswell. This is very expensive hardware for me and the type of money I make. Would this be a posibility? I can also provide video proof and aditional pictures of the malfunctioning episodes of my cpu aswell.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Sure I understand, but it seems that from your end you have done all the possible troubleshooting steps and the next step would be replacing the processor. You could give it a try, contact phone support or create an online service request.

Regards,

0 Kudos