1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 11:15 PM by Rojie

Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength

Rojie

After upgrading to Windows 10.10586.164, inSSIDer and WiFi app tools are reporting -50dbm signal strength to all Wi-Fi the stick it detects. I've installed all recent drivers from Intel including its Realtek RTL8723BS network adapter. Driver or configuration problem? Moreso Windows (Home) action center does not show the WiFi on/off and airport mode toggle buttons. Any hints why? My other WiFi Windows 10 Home PCs show these buttons and are reporting different signal strength but the compute stick always show -50dbm.

• 1. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
          ivanu_intel

Hello Rojie,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

We have not seen this being reported after upgrading to Windows 10, try uninstalling restart your system and then reinstall it.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version and run Windows updates to see if you find any update that can help you.

Please be aware of the following:

• The onboard Realtek RTL8723BS wireless adapter is an SDIO adapter; SDIO is inherently slower than PCIe-based wireless adapters. WiFi speeds can be very slow, depending on many factors:
          • If there are other WiFi routers nearby.
          • Router channel is set to Auto (and so is everyone else’s).
          • How close the unit is to the router (router is in another room; signal passes through walls/floors).
          • Interference from other devices (mobile phones, cordless phones, microwaves, Bluetooth devices, or baby monitors.

Regards,

Ivan

• 2. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
            Rojie

I've installed the latest BIOS (0031).  When you say uninstall, from device manager, shall I install the said network adapter?

As you can see in the image below, all of access points have -50dBM using inSSIDer. Using different tools,

all indicated the constant -50dBm.  I'm aware of the notes you've indicated.  Hope that you can help me on this.

Thanks.

JiEGX8r.jpg

• 3. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
              Rojie

As you instructed, I uninstalled the said driver from the device manager and deleting also its files would enable to detect the variable signal strength from different WLAN access points after restarting.  The driver version automatically installed is 3008.8.401.2015.  But after installing the recent driver from Intel which is 3008.11.0515.2015, it again reported all access points with -50dBm.  Installation are both done from manual driver selection and Intel installer and reported the same problem.  I guess that I have to stick with the old version.

• 4. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                ivanu_intel

In this case if you have better results with the older version then I suggest staying with that version for now and wait for a new update to be released.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience and I hope you can have a better experience with the unit from now on.

Regards,

Ivan

• 5. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                  Rojie

Thanks for the prompt response.  I'm wondering if other users with the same stick specs using the recent driver of Realtek from Intel Driver download site, are not encountering the same problem.  I've also installed other WiFi analyzer appx tools and all are reporting a fixed -50dBm with the new driver version.  With the old one, you can see the fluctuation of signal strength from time to time. =20

However, using this previous driver version, I'm experiencing intermittent slow down, packet loss and connection drop unlike the recent version.  Hope that these would be fixed soon.   This doesn't resolve also the non-display of WiFi on/off and airplane mode toggle buttons in either version.

Thanks again to all.

• 6. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                    ivanu_intel

Do you have only one unit or more than one with the same problem?

I'm asking because we don't have this problem with a unit I have tested.

I suggest getting a replacement for the unit, you can submit a warranty replacement here:

Contact Support

• 7. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                      Rojie

I have one unit of this.  Which problem are you referring to, connection loss with old driver, fixed signal strength with new driver or any driver version with the WiFi toggle? 

Moreso, I have replaced mine last December 2015 (bought last August 2015) due to lost Win8.1 recovery partition and couldn't boot to Windows after Windows 10 November 1511 version upgrade so I might have difficulty explaining to the dealer that the connection problem would deem for replacement.

So may I know what problem of mine is isolated from the working ones.  Thanks a lot!

• 8. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                        ivanu_intel

I mean that the WIFI connection is working fine from my end but to be honest I was not able to install that software that you have.

I this point I suggest waiting for new driver or BIOS to come up to fix issues like this and add more features to the Intel® Compute Stick.

• 9. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                          Rojie

Thanks again for the response Ivan,

The software used are not only in10 UWPs but insider and other shareware tools are reporting -50dBm on all AP using the recent version.  And then also, from restoring the Win10 from 10240 to 10586.164 build, all of them gave the same NG status above.  Recent version from Intel's SOC, RTL8723BS and Bluetooth UART were installed, confirmed each component in the Device Manager are using the recent one but to no avail.

For the missing WiFi toggle button at the Action Center, the above driver update and workaround below (except "re-recovery") don't give solution to both problems.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/missing-wifi-and-airplane-tiles-in-action-centre/ac1ff…

It's really troublesome to use the ADMIN's IPCONFIG command line and right click the network adapter property to disable when needed.

• 10. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                            ivanu_intel

If you browse the internet or watch a video is the connection really bad or you cannot even do that?

Try flushing DNS and renew the IP.

Open command prompt as administrator and then type the following:

Ipconfig /flushdns and press enter

Then type ipconfig /release and pres enter

Type ipconfig /renew and press enter, then restart your system.

Regards,

Ivan

• 11. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                              Rojie

Hi Ivan, thanks again for that response.

Tried that ipconfig command option before in admin mode, plus sfcscan, dism but nothing resolves the Action Center's WiFi's toggle button display problem.  Although I've used the last 2 version of Intel RTL8723BS drivers but to no avail.  Hardware problem or not, it's good the old version has high reliability on connection and transmission so I'll stick for this version right now.  Had done the different troubleshoot (control panel) options in Windows 10 but again, nothing happened.  Is there a diagnostic tool for this stick of mine from Intel?

Would it be possible to get from the working STCK1A32WFC's device manager driver version number for each network component from your side.  Like the Win8.1 which are all (variable signal strength from different AP and clickable Action Center's WiFi and Airplane mode) working fine.  Intel driver installed also CISCO leap modules but all of the above have problems on both reported issues above.

I never learn to quit but this time, maybe I might for as long I'm able to access the NET...

• 12. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                                ivanu_intel

At this point I suggest waiting for a new driver to come up that hopefully will work better for you and for now stay with the driver version that works OK for you.

I’m sorry but unfortunately we don’t have a diagnostic tool for this stick.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 13. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                                  Rojie

Thanks again.  I'm wondering that if some of you didn't experience in Windows 10 build 10586.107, 164, 218, how come mine is not, given the same hardware components are installed in all regiions I supposed.  Maybe from my upgrade procedure from July 2015 public release to November 1511 (Threshold) release, there might be some flaw in my procedure on the network adapter's driver installation? 

• 14. Re: Compute Stick (STCK1A32WFC) cannot correctly detect WiFi signal strength
                                    cimbrum

Right! Same issue here: my ICS is connected to my LG smart TV. Yesterday I updated the BIOS and reset the Windows 8.1 to factory default in order to upgrade to Windows 10. Everything worked fine until Windows Updates started to download Windows 10 files. This morning a message says something about an error while updating Windows. I guess the stick loses wifi signal because I was trying to search the web that encrypted Windows but Chrome reported that there is no connection available despite the wifi signal icon has full signal bars and "Internet access".

LE - 52 minutes to download a driver of 29 MB!!??

LE2 - Suddenly, the wifi connection started to work fine (!?)...

LE3 - Installed Team Viewer. Connection lost again,,,

1 2 3 Previous Next