4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 6:09 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Safe Shutdown Button/Switch Intel Galileo

BrechtW

Is there a way to safely shut down the Intel Galileo via hardware, i.e. a button or switch?

Now I have to connect via UART or SSH to type "halt" (I'm using eglibc).

• 1. Re: Safe Shutdown Button/Switch Intel Galileo
          FGT

BrechtW wrote:

Is there a way to safely shut down the Intel Galileo via hardware, i.e. a button or switch?

Now I have to connect via UART or SSH to type "halt" (I'm using eglibc).

I don't think so. I use to directly unplug the power... I've not had trouble so far.

I think it's rather usual in IoT/microcontrollers "world".

Fernando.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Safe Shutdown Button/Switch Intel Galileo
            BrechtW

FGT I thought that unplugging a Linux system (like Linux on Raspberry Pi) without "halt" is a bad idea. I think it's better safe than sorry.

• 3. Re: Safe Shutdown Button/Switch Intel Galileo
              FGT

BrechtW wrote:

FGT I thought that unplugging a Linux system (like Linux on Raspberry Pi) without "halt" is a bad idea. I think it's better safe than sorry.

Ok.

I don't know about any hardware way of shutting down the Galileo card. I don't know about other cards, as the Raspberry Pi you mention.

I've never seen any suggestion/recommendation/warning made by Intel about shutting down the Galileo card. I don't know about other cards, as the Raspberry Pi you mention.

Taking into account the usage of Intel Galileo as an Arduino UNO, to execute Arduino UNO sketches, there is no specific way of shutting down beyond unplugging the power.

I was just sharing my experience, I did not suggest you do anything, neither safe nor sorry...

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Safe Shutdown Button/Switch Intel Galileo
                DiegoV_Intel

Hi BrechtW,

There isn't a button or switch to shut down the board. I always unplug the power supply and I've never had any issues with it.

Regards,

Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful