11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 3:48 PM by Intel Corporation

Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH

TicoJohn

I finally receive the NUC but have a problem. I have a NUC5i5RYH with 500 GB HDD, 4 GB ram and a Logitec K400r wireless keyboard. When I power on the NUC I get the prompt to press F2 to enter the bios. However, pressing F2 seems so have no effect. I have also tried pressing the Fn key and F2. What I get, after pressing F2 is a blank screen. If I do not press F2 then after a short period of time the system appears to be doing something, maybe trying to boot  (but there is no system). Do I have to have a wired keyboard in order to do the initial setup?  Can somebody give me some help ?

• 1. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
          TicoJohn

As an update, I am using the keyboard to post this message so I know the keyboard works. And I have tested that the F2 key functions.

• 2. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
            TicoJohn

By the way, to post that message I had the keyboard connected to my regular desktop, not the NUC (obviously).

• 3. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
              TicoJohn

Another update. I put a live version of Ubuntu on a USB stick and the system boots from the USB.  Keyboard works, internet works, video colors are a bit strange (on a 43" Samsung plasma screen).  So why the heck can I not get in to the BIOS. I would like to be able to get into the bios. Is there some jumper setting inside the box that is preventing me from getting in? 

• 4. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                TicoJohn

Maybe it is a screen resolution problem. I see in this site Can't Access BIOS Setup with F2 Key that if the HDMI resolution is not supported then I can't enter BIOS. It could also be that the BIOS is set to Fast Boot.  I am going see if I can do something with the resolution, or get a monitor that is supported. If I can find an adapter for the MiniDisplay to VGA then I can do the setup on my regular screen.

• 5. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                  TicoJohn

The BIOS is probably not set to Fast Boot as it will boot to a removable device (ie. USB stick). So it must be the resolution of the 43" TV. I think wen  I turn on the HDMI mode it says 1280x960.

• 6. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                    TicoJohn

I was able to buy a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter. Hooked up to my 19" 4:3 monitor and was able to get in ti BIOS. Made sure Secure Boot was OFF (Debian isn't supported), made sure Fast Boot was OFF, selected boot from USB first. Hope that is all I need to do. Going to try to install Debian Testing (Stretch) as it is supposed to have the latest kernel and drivers. Plus, someone from that forum had success installing Stretch on a system with the Skylake chipset. I will post results.

• 7. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                      TicoJohn

Finally got it working. A far bigger chore than any other computer I have "built" and configured.

First problem was not being ale to get into the BIOS. Problem was the BIOS did not recognize the screen format (1280x768). Solution was to buy a mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and connect to my other PC monitor.

Second issue, not Intel related, was that my Debian install locked up on the second or third step. Solution was to install Lubuntu 15.10. That installed well.

Third problem was NO SOUND. Again, not an Intel related problem. Turned out that the installation set up the audio as Digital. Needed to be Analog. Changed that and all is well.

Took most of the day but i am satisfied, so far, with the outcome. Tomorrow is Kodi installation day. I'm sure it will go well.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

• 8. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, TicoJohn:

Thank very much for sharing your workaround. I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. 

If you need further assistance let us know. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                          gd-angel

I had a very similar experience to yours.  I can only say that it would have taken about 5 minutes instead of 5 hours for me to get things up and running if there had been clear documentation on these issues (5-10 cents for a couple pages of paper) in the box, or at a minimum, clearly documented in the support section for my NUC.

Instead, I had to chase around ideas in other forums (Had no idea about native video resolution being an issue - never in years long ago doing blank system set-ups had I heard of that.  Had heard of USB KB detect problems though).

• 10. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                            GermanNuc

Hi there, i had the same problem with the BIOS of my NUC6i5syh, that did not recognize the screen format an crashed. I have a LG 24 inch LCD monitor, which is full accepted by Windows 10 without any problems i can choose the highest solution. When i wanted to get into bios, the NUC crashed, because the bios screen couldnt be displayed. When i connected it to the Samsung tv, there was no problem to get into bios. My solution was found by coincidence : I first press the power button on the nuc and then power on the monitor, then there is no problem. I still use bios 28 so i dont know, if a newer bios resolves this problem. greetings Oliver

• 11. Re: Can't access BIOS at startup NUC5i5RYH
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

Thank you for taking the time to share all your findings.

Regards,

Amy.