Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

HD4000 Dual display problem

idata
Employee

All of a sudden a few days ago my dual display setup started acting up. I have a P8Z77-I Deluxe. Primary is connected via DVI to hdmi adapter. Secondary is on a 60Ft redmere cable to my living room receiver. It used to extend just fine. Recently though if the receiver/living room tv gets powered off my desktop display goes black then displays vga in the upper right then goes black then displays vga again then goes black and stays black. The monitor light goes from blue (has a connection) to orange (can't see a connected device. If I power the receiver back on in the living room I get my desktop display back again. If I power it off I loose the desktop display. When this happens I can disconnect the redmere cable and I get my desktop display back. So the receiver has to be powered on to keep/get my desktop display if the redmere cable is connected. Also when I plug the redmere cable back in I don't get the windows tones of a new device being connected. I've uninstalled the old drivers installed new ones. Doesn't matter.

I did more diagnostics today. First testing my redmere cable connected to my game rig's 290x while having it's ultrawide still connected via display port. I don't have a single issue with the cable. I then connected my fiances pc (running the same board as I am and it also runs two desktop displays just fine but she is on 8.1 and I'm on 10) Hers works the redmere cable just fine along with my desktop display so cables weren't the issue. I then pulled out the spare P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD that is new and swapped my motherboard out. The initial start while having the receiver connected via the redmere cable (but powered off) was successfull. I then powered on the living room receiver and tv viola connection to both displays.

Here I'm thinking ok I need to rma the p8z77-i deluxe. NOPE. As soon as I powered off the living room receiver the desktop display starts the black screen vga screen bit ending with no desktop display and an orange light on the monitor. This is a Driver problem with the HD4000 graphics or my cpu is failing. I just ran the intel processor diagnostics tool and the cpu passes though.

Below are the results:

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 3.0.0.25.W.MP

--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 3/18/2016 9:32:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1

Intel(R) spbc Module Test

Module Version: 1.0.7.64b.W

Start Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:05 2016

Test Result - PASS

..!!..Processor under test is verified as 'PRODUCTION'..!!..

Processor Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

Processor Brand String: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

End Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:05 2016

Total Time: seconds: 0

Genuine Intel CPU Test

Module Version: 1.0.12.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

Expected: GenuineIntel

Detected: GenuineIntel

Temperature Test

Test Result - PASS

Expected: Greater than 1 degrees below max

Received: 70 degrees below max

CPU Brand String Test

Test Result - PASS

Expected String Parts: As Defined in BrandString_LocalConfig.xml

Detected: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

CPU Frequency Test

Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Expected CPU Frequency: 3.50

Detected CPU Frequency: 3.83139

Expected Base Clock: 100

Detected Base Clock: 100.826

Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate

Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating

Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency

than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common.

QPI link rate Test - Not supported.

Skipping QPI link rate Test.

End Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:09 2016

Total Time: seconds: 4

Floating Point Test

Module Version: 1.0.10.64b.W

Start Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:09 2016

Test Result - PASS

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS: 475.2

Error: 0

--- Floating Point Test Passed!!!---

End Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:11 2016

Total Time: seconds: 2

Prime Number Generation Test

Start Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:11 2016

Test Result - PASS

Operation Per Second: 5.98121e+006

Error: 0

--- Prime Number Generation Test Passed!!!---

End Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:13 2016

Total Time: seconds: 2

Cache Test

Start Time: Fri Mar 18 09:32:13 2016

Test Result - PASS

--- Reading Cache Size ---

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size --> 32

- Detected L1 Inst Cache Size --> 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size --> 256

- Detected L3 Cache Size --> 8192

Cache Size Test Passed!!!

MMXSSE Test

Test Result - PASS

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities ---

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---

--- MMX SSE ---

MMX - MMX Supported --> Yes

SSE - SSE Supported --> Yes

SSE2 - SSE2 Supported --> Yes

SSE3 - SSE3 Supported --> Yes

SSSE3 - SSSE3 Supported --> Yes

SSE4.1 - SSE4.1 Supported --> Yes

SSE4.2 - SSE4.2 Supported --> Yes

--- MMX SSE - capabilities check complete ---

MMX Test Result --- PASS

SSE Test Result --- PASS

SSE2 Test Result --- PASS

SSE3 Test Result --- PASS

SSSE3 Test Result --- PASS

SSE4.1 Test Result --- PASS

SSE4.2 Test Result --- PASS

AVX Test

Module Version: 1.0.11.64b.W

Test Result - PASS

<...
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

This has bound to be a driver problem. I just pulled up the window to reboot my computer that you get after setting the pc to boot into safemode. I had my mouse over restart. I plugged the redmere cable in sure enough lost the desktop display. Clicked the mouse and I'm in windows after a reboot with the redmere cable connected. So for sure isn't a cable or hardware problem and in fact either intel drivers or windows 10 issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

This has bound to be a driver problem. I just pulled up the window to reboot my computer that you get after setting the pc to boot into safemode. I had my mouse over restart. I plugged the redmere cable in sure enough lost the desktop display. Clicked the mouse and I'm in windows after a reboot with the redmere cable connected. So for sure isn't a cable or hardware problem and in fact either intel drivers or windows 10 issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello scgt1,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

When the monitor light goes from blue to orange, a green light indicates the monitor has sufficient power and is getting a video signal.

An amber light displays if the monitor has power but it is not getting a video signal from the computer. The problem is likely in the computer.

You could try updating the graphics driver, you can download it here, you probably have this driver version already but I would suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling it again.https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25698/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-33- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*,10 [15.33]

Try turning your TV and receiver off and back on.

Have you consider checking your power supply to see if you are getting enough power to your system?

If you are using adapters try with straight connection instead just to see if it works better and to isolate the issue.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LOL @ your response. Guess Intel support is no different then any other companies support. Had my initial message and reply been read you would have seen that I've tried multiple drivers. You would have also seen that the computer is connected directly to the receiver via redmere hdmi cable so there isn't any adapters being used for the problem. In fact the problem has been corrected by reloading windows. So there was a corruption between windows or the intel graphics drivers as per my second post. BTW I believe my 750watt psu is more then sufficient for a P8Z77-I DELUXE, 3770K 16GB ram, single ssd, 6tb sata drive, 1 optical drive, two usb devices, and 3 fans. More then enough so that I'm probably min 400watts over what the system requires under full load. So to claim the psu may be the culprit when my second post states it works as it should when in safe mode is laughable at best. Maybe pay more attention to the details someone posts before answering with generic prompts.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

My answer was to help you and to try to isolate the issue; you POST was read and understood very well but anyway I'm glad that your issue has been resolved and I hope that you can have a better experience with your unit from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos