Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Program causing screen wake up problems.

idata
Employee

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After the screen times out and goes off, not sleep mode just screen off, it will not come fully back on. All I get is the backlight. This problem only occurs in resolutions other than the highest 3840 mode. In the recommended 3840 resolution all appears to work. The system will also work properly after the HD driver is freshly loaded but will exhibit the problem after certain programs are executed. Restoring the computer to a point before the program is run does fix the issue until of course the program is run again. This is most likely an issue with the registry getting changed however I have run this software for years on Win7 and before without problem. I have heard reports that other programs can cause this but the one I have identified for sure it QuoteTracker from TD Ameritrade. It is free and can be downloaded and used to test. I am running several live charts so the graphics part of it may be involved.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

It does it every time. It may take 1-5 screen timeout cycles to show up but it is easily reproduced.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

System SKULENOVO_MT_80NW_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo ideapad Y700 Touch-15ISK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

hybrid

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16g

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Software (SW)

<td style="border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: curr...
0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Y700,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

If you use your system manufacturer driver do you get the same problem?

I suggest to uninstall the Intel driver and reinstall the driver from your system manufacturer and to run Windows updates.

Please be aware that Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

I'm sorry could no open the file you upload could you please upload the Dxdiag file:

In the "Run" window, type "dxdiag" and click OK. A "DirectX Diagnostic Tool" window should pop up. In the window that has now appeared choose "Save all information" After you've saved the file, please upload here.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, the Lenovo provided drivers produce the same results. I switched to the generic Intel drivers as suggested here with no improvement. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia and Intel drivers as defined with no change in the behavior. Have you downloaded and run Quotetracker? It will produce the bug every time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I installed Quotetracker today and I set the monitor to turn off the display at one minute, I tried it several times but I was not able to reproduce the issue.

I running the Intel® Beta Graphics Driver version 15.40.20.4404, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t

If the driver does not work, could you please POST with a picture to see exactly the error you get or maybe a video if it is possible?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am already running the 4404 driver.

---

Are you testing on a machine with UHD graphics? If I run the test in the highest resolution mode (3840x2160) it has no issues. It is only in lower resolution settings like 1920x1080 that the bug appears. Unfortunately I have software that I need to run in 1920x1080 mode so it is very difficult to leave the computer set in 3840 mode.

Have you got charts open in QuoteTracker? I suspect the graphics may be required to produce the bug. I have also noticed that some videos viewed in Internet Explorer can cause the same bug.

The only video I could post would be a black screen! I don't think that would help. After the screen times out and goes off I get a black screen (backlight only) when I touch a key or mouse.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ran it as you have it, resolution at 1920x1080 refresh rate 60Hz and I did not experience this problem, I'm running a system with the same graphics version you have but not with a Lenovo computer, I have tried two different computers with this graphics versions and I don't see anything weird.

Have you contacted you system manufacturer to see if they have any reports of issues like this?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, they have about 5 threads and dozens of messages on their support forums about it. Their only "answer" was update the BIOS which did nothing for anybody. Some folks have returned their systems with success and others have returned them multiple times only to have the problem return. I am an old programmer and my gut tells me this is not a hardware issue based on the symptoms. It has got be some interaction between the graphics driver, directX 12, and Windows 10 ... else restoring the computer or reloading the driver would not correct it. I have even done a registry compare before and after running Quotetracker but the volume of information is overwhelming to someone not familiar with all the variables. Something is getting changed that affects the system when not in 3840 mode.

---

I notice several errors in my DXDIAG report I posted referring to stocks.exe which is in fact the executable for Quotetracker. I don't know how to decipher that. Have you looked into those errors? If you can do that it might provide a clue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you try to roll back to the graphics driver provided by Windows do you get the same problem?

It will be good to try so we can isolate the issue.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If I rollback to the original Microsoft Basic driver my only option for screen resolution is the full 3840 mode. I am not experiencing the issue in this mode.

---

With the original driver that came on the computer it sometimes would require holding the power button down and forcing a shutdown multiple times to get the screen back. As it is now at least it will come back after putting the computer to sleep. The original driver also sometimes had the black screen issue when coming out of sleep mode. I really don't want to go back. The 4404 driver works the best yet. I am not experiencing any problems unless I run Quotetracker.

---

Another trick I learned: Pressing [FN][F3] on this computer brings up the multi-display window. When I am staring at the black screen I can press [Fn][F3] then the down arrow then [Enter] then the up arrow then [Enter] and the screen will turn on. What that does, even though I can't see it, is select "Duplicate" then select "PC Screen Only". That will turn the screen back on without requiring a reset with one or two tries.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, at least the 4404 driver is working fine for you, as I mention previous on this thread I did not experience this issue with this driver when I tried this software, I suggest to wait for a new driver to be released or a Windows update that can make your system run better with this software.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, it isn't exactly working "fine" as I still can't run Quotetracker without experiencing the black screen issue. Did you look at the stocks.exe errors in the DXDIAG file?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm sorry unfortunately we don't have a way to decipher that error, we use the Dxdiag to check your system model, operating system used and graphics.

At this point I would suggest contacting the software developers to see if they have a patch or to see what will be your system requirements for this software.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hmmm, well tell me if you think this is a hardware or software problem. This is a new computer that is still under warranty. Should I return it?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is hard to tell if it hardware or software issue, did you try uninstalling that software and reinstalling it to see if that helps.

I can try to investigate a little more.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Y700,

After I have tried several times to replicate this issue I was not able to do it, I do have installed in my system the same graphics version you have but I'm using a different computer.

Since I was not able to replicate this issue at this point I suggest you to contact Lenovo and ask them to replicate this issue with the same hardware you have to see if they experience the same problem, if they are able to replicate the issue they will be able further assist you and if they are not able to replicate the issue you should get a replacement for the unit.

I will appreciate if you can keep me post how it goes with them.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate your efforts but Lenovo's own forums indicate they don't have the answer. I also see this issue popping up on other computers with the Skylake processors. I urge you to keep looking at it as I think it is still a driver issue. There has to be a reason in does not occur in 3840 mode but does happen in lower resolutions.

---

Anyway, I know you are trying to end this thread and I understand. But I don't think we reached the correct answer. I will continue to try new drivers as they appear and hopefully a review of the code will reveal what is not getting reset/corrupted in lower res modes. I have discovered this issue also happens when running SDR# which is a graphics intensive Software Defined Radio program. It doesn't seem to permanently effect the problem like Quotetracker but will cause the wake-up problem if it is running when the screen goes off...

Please keep looking and thank you for your time. Intel makes great products and I am confident this bug will be squashed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Y700, in this case let's wait for a new graphics driver to come up that hopefully will work better for you, and to be honest Lenovo should replicate this issue for you, please bear in mind that Intel only provides generic drivers and Lenovo may have customize the driver to work with the features and specifications they have. Lenovo should be more familiar with this system and how all the components interact with each other.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos