4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 1:27 PM by Jeanfranco

Installing Arduino in Intel Edison

Jeanfranco

Hi,

I am trying to make the edison send the information of a temperature sensor to the cloud analytic continuously and be able to keep running the program even without the USB cable plugged into a computer. In other words, be able to program the edison once, then disconnected the cable and make the edison still sending information to the cloud. I am trying to avoid using python, or C. I want to use the arduino IDE. Is there any possible way to make the program run from the edison, so that I do not need to be constantly be connected to the PC via USB.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Installing Arduino in Intel Edison
          PabloM_Intel

Hi Jeanfranco,

Depending on the sketch that you’re uploading you shouldn’t have any issue disconnecting the USB cable that uses the Arduino IDE port. However, if you’re using the Arduino serial port you won’t be able to disconnect the USB cable without interfering with the sketch functionality. If you could provide more details that would be of great help.

Do you want to disconnect the USB cable only or also shutting off the board and then continue with the sketch once the board powers up again (without uploading the sketch again)? Could you provide the Arduino sketch?

Regards,

Pablo

• 2. Re: Installing Arduino in Intel Edison
            Jeanfranco

Hello Pablo,

First thank you for answering.

Yes, I want to disconnect the USB cable and continue with the sketch even when the board powers up again without having to upload the sketch again. Basically, what I am uploading right now is a sketch that tells Edison to send the data from my temperature sensor to the Cloud Analytic. My issue is that when I refresh the Analytic, the information is not begin refresh, meaning that it is only sending the information after certain amount of time and the stops. As well as when I check the Edison folder, I do not see any sketches or documents which I will think will be save in the Edison after uploading.

• 3. Re: Installing Arduino in Intel Edison
              PabloM_Intel

Hi Jeanfranco,

So you’re not using the “Serial” port in your sketch, right?

Regarding the other issue, it should be possible to set a persistent sketch in your Edison. The sketch is actually not deleted, it just waits to be “called” to start running. So what you need to do is to start the sketch at the time of boot. There are two options, go back to the previous image (146) or run the following workaround https://communities.intel.com/thread/77945 in the current image. I would suggest you to try the second option, so you can still use the latest Edison image.

Regards,

Pablo

• 4. Re: Installing Arduino in Intel Edison
                Jeanfranco

Thank you very much for all your help!