Thank you for your post.
From your description it appears that a feature got corrupted, this may happen if unsafe shutdowns occurred while it was running, and in some cases also after some updates it could corrupt a registry entry.
There are two things that you can do; you can do a system restore to a date when this still worked: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore. You may also just reset one of the components, the Intel® My WiFi Technology:
- Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program
- Double-click on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software
- This opens the “Install Shield Wizard” window
- Click on “Next” select “Change”
- Click on the drop-down menu left to “Intel® My WiFi Technology”
- Select the last option “X Entire feature will be unavailable”
- Click on “Next”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”
- To reinstall the feature follow the steps from 1 to 5 then 9 and 10.
- Select the last option “Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive”
- Click on “Change”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”
I hope this helps