So I just bought a new HP windows 7 64 bit laptop for my DJ business. I use a program called Serato, which is a digital vinyl system. After I bought it, I found out about a bug with the i5 processor, which is what I have. Serato tech is aware of the problem and has been in contact with Microsoft and Intel to try to find a fix, but has been falling on deaf ears. Here are links to the specific problems
This MUST be fixed. Intel, you need to do WHATEVER is required with microsoft to fix this problem. I am very dissatistfied with the performance, as well as embarrassed. Imagaine DJing to a group of several hundred, in the middle of a mix, and BOOM, dead silence... Must be fixed. I am considering returning this laptop for another.
I've been looking around into your problem.
1) I notice that you still use USB ver.1.1 (why?)
2) to try to get this solved I had an idea
When you use a full size PC you don't seem to have any problem
so it must be something in the power consumption and / or use of bandwidth uf the USB port on the laptop
Open your laptop system software , goto hardware > click device manager
Click the USB Serial Bus controllers
Right click the USB Root Hub > Click on power > check the power consumption
Right click the Universal USB Host Controller > Click Advanced Tab > check the bandwidth reserved /used
check the picture I made you as example
When you diagnose the running system you can refresh the power / bandwidth consumption
The power output for the Root HUB from your laptop will prolly be the cause of your problem.
Solution : use an external powered USB Hub
Plz let me know if you're successfull
TTYL..... T L.
P.S., I hope that this is what you require from Intel ?
The Serato SL1 interface is a usb 1.1 device. It works absolutely fine on my older xp laptop, no dropouts whatsoever. Only when using my new laptop with this i5 processor. After digging a little more, I found some information about exactly what is going on when the problem occurs. Note this is taken directly from serato's tech.
In a nutshell, the USB 1.1 devices send a packets of 0's to the computer. The i processor doesn't know how to interpret that and stops, pausing the audio. UNplugging the USB cord or restarting your computer clears that packet of 0's. You are good to go until another packet of 0's get sent to the computer.
Maybe this will help people understand exactly what is happening. Right now the only sure fix is to either Trade computer for a Mac (Which Mac has already put out a fix for their i5 processor) or buy the SL2 or SL3 interface (Which is $500 - $700)
Remember, This has worked FINE for me for several years, The night it screwed up I plugged it back into my backup computer running vista, no problems.