I recently purchased a D865PERL motherboard that it is my understanding has a 1000 base network adapter. When I installed the dtiver a 100 base installed. Does anyone know how to install the 1000 base network adapter?
Below are somethings I tried.
1) I downloaded a file named PRO2KXP.exe that I assume contains all the Windows XP drivers.
2) I exacted PRO2KXP.exe and found a folder named PRO1000 that I assume contains the 1000 base network adapter driver files.
3) When I saw what appears to be driver files in the Win32 folder I pointed the XP driver update utility at it but XP said the information in that folder does not pertain to any of the hardware that makes up your computer.
4) I uninstalled the 100 base drivers and rebooted the computer and when XP called for a driver for the network adapter I pointed it at the Win32 folder but again XP said that the information does not pertain to the hardware that makes up your computer.
5) Next in the PRO1000 folder I found a folder called RIS_INF where I found a readme.txt file with the following instructions.
Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft* Windows Server* 2003 (32-bit)
1. Create an [IMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory if one does not already exist.
2. Copy all files from the PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [IMAGE_ROOT]\$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC directory.
3. Make the following changes to the .SIF file that is used for this image installation (located in the [IMAGE_ROOT]\I386\Templates directory):
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
4. Copy all .SYS files from PRO1000\Win32 directory to the [IMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory. Do NOT copy the INF files to this directory.
5. Extract the .INF files from PRO1000\Win32\RIS_INF\E1000325.ZIP and E1E5132.zip to the [IMAGE_ROOT]\i386 directory.
6. Restart the Remote Installation Service.
7. Follow the rest of the Microsoft instructions for adding a new network driver to the RIS installation.
I really do not fully understand these instructions but I assume they mean rewriting the Windows setup CD and would require that I reinstall everything on my computer something I would prefer not to do. Also I have reservations because XP does not recongize the source information that is being used to amend the setup as driver information that goes with the hardware on my computer.
6) Next I found I found a network adapter untility that adds a device manager extension to my network adapter when you click on the drivers properties in the device manager but it does not make my 100 base adapter a 1000 base adapter.
7) Finally I downloaded a file named 8254x_WIN_CE_XP that contains a file named PRO_WinXPE_Legacy.ZIP that contains instructions that include using Windows XP Embedded Objects Data Base Manager to import a file called e1000exp.sid into it. This seems like it might be the quickest and simplest method but I have never heard of the Windows XP Embedded Objects Data Base Manager nor do I have an understanding of embeeded objects or how they function in Windows XP and when I went to the internet to find out I was not able to find enough information that I could carry out the tasks necessary to successfully install the network adapter.
Your help would be appreciated.