I am having an issue getting a SC5520HC (in an SC5650HCBRP system) to post. I've scoured this forum and Google for more than two hours with no luck, so I'm hoping someone else has an idea.
- I turn the system on, and the power lights and fans roar to life.
- There are no beeps, and the fan stays at a high jet-like speed.
- The monitor never turns on, and the keyboard's lights for NumLock never light up.
- On the front of the case, the Power, Hard Drive Activity, and Status LEDs all light up steady green.
- On the back of the case, the POST bit codes go back and forth between B8 (resetting the removable media device) and B9 (disabling the removable media device).
Here's what I've tried:
- I pulled all three sticks of RAM out (2 x 3GB 1066) and inserted only one at a time in the A1 bank. Each of the three times I did this (one stick at a time) I got three beeps and the E8 (no usable memory) error. Still no POST.
- I double-checked all connections. This was a barebones, so all I had to install was the RAM, the CPU (an E5620 with an STS100A thermal solution), a DVD drive, and 4 500GB Western Digital hard drives. The DVD drive is SATA, plugged into the SATA5 port, while the two jacks on the hard drive cage (SAS0 and SAS1) are plugged in to SATA0 and SATA1, respectively.
- I tried booting without the DVD drive, and again with only 1 hard drive and then with 2, and experienced the same result.
- I validated that the RAM I am using is on Intel's tested list. (Kingston KVR1066D3S4R7SK3)
One question I couldn't seem to find a clear answer on: for RAID 10 support, do I need to have that SAS Entry RAID Module (AXX4SASMOD)? I thought this was only required if I wanted RAID 5, but I can't find a conclusive statement on this.
I have built and serviced desktop systems for years, but this is my first attempt at a true server. I'm out of ideas and can't seem to find any other resource. I sincerely appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.