This project will focus on drone systems which are growing part of new high technologies. But there is less innovation about consumption on this domain and low-power Intel Edison design coupled with IO sensor network could became a major actor.
Autonomous drone systems take more and more place in our everyday life. From distributors announcement about express shipping or the emergency drone designed by a Belgium student the future have to deals with these machines. Most of searches focus on positioning system or flight plan optimization. This should be why today the flight battery life is very short: only few minutes will be generally available.
We project to design a drone based on an old physical theory: Archimed principle. Actually this technology is not an old one only good for museum but could permit a major innovation in drones systems: being as light as the air. Today drones waste energy to counter gravity effects and on paper a simple helium or hydrogen balloon could avoid that.
But the use of airship system causes other problems such as wind derivation or a decrease of accuracy in direction changes. Therefore we choose Edison system and IO technologies to provide us using a panel of sensor to optimize this device.
Part played by Intel Edison system
The Intel Edison board provides essentials things:
- The possibility of low-power use to help us increasing battery life.
- A small design to optimize device weight.
- An important number of I/O for controlling propellers and a panel of sensors as an upgradeable platform.
- And all these elements coupled with great processing performances for correction of problems caused by the airship design.
- Integrated WIFI/Bluetooth will permit to have a remote control.
Future to achieve
Our objective is to design a fully integrated system with the possibility to plug different peripherals (such as camera).