This tutorial will replace the existing Python 2.7 with Python 3.6.
The following information will help you install Python 3 on your Intel® Edison.
Installing Python 3.6
To install Python 3.6 on your Intel® Edison, follow the steps below:
- Move to the home directory:
2. Download the source:
wget --no-check-certificate https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.0/Python-3.6.0.tgz
3. Unpack the source:
tar -xvf Python-3.6.0.tgz
4. Move into the Python directory, configure and make. You have to just wait for the make to finish as there is no output, be patient:
cd Python-3.6.0/ ./configure --with-pydebug make -s -j4
5. Next remove the link for Python 2.7 and add one for Python 3.6
rm /usr/bin/python ln -s /home/root/Python-3.6.0/python /usr/bin/python
6. Now check that Python 3.6 is being used:
7. You should see the following output:
Python 3.6.0 (default, Feb 1 2017, 05:35:57) [GCC 4.9.1] on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
8. Now you can clean up some space by deleting the downloaded. DO NOT delete the Python-3.6.0 directory, if you do you will have to start again with this tutorial as Python will no longer work.
# rm -rf Python-3.6.0.tgz
Installing Pip 3
WORKING ON THIS, TO BE UPDATED