Full Unified Network Functionality at No Additional Cost
Today, Intel extends its leadership in Ethernet and Unified Networking with the addition of qualified Open Fibre Channel over Ethernet (Open FCoE) support to the Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520 and Intel® 82599 10 Gigabit Controller product family.
Adding Open FCoE to Intel’s robust 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) unified networking solutions enables IT departments to create data center superhighways that could reduce global IT spending by three billion dollars a year. A simple, unified data center network is a cornerstone of Intel’s Cloud 2015 vision, which was announced in October.
Intel Open FCoE is available as a free upgrade on Intel 10 Gigabit products and is qualified by EMC* E-lab and NetApp*. Industry support for Intel Open FCoE includes Cisco*, Dell*, EMC, NetApp, Oracle*, RedHat*, and Novell*.
Benefits of Open FCoE
The Open FCoE architecture uses a combination of FCoE initiators in Microsoft* Windows* and Linux* operating systems and in the VMware* ESX hypervisor, to deliver high-performing FCoE solutions over standard 10GbE Ethernet adapters.
This approach allows IT managers to simplify the datacenter and standardize on a single adapter for all LAN and SAN connectivity. Further, the Intel 10GbE Server products (LOM and NIC) fully offload the FCoE data path to deliver a full featured Converged Network Adapter (CNA) functionality without compromising on power efficiency and interoperability. What’s more – the Open FCoE solution is available on Intel® Ethernet 10GbE products at no additional charge.
Key advantages of Intel Open FCoE solution are:
- Scalable Performance: Since there are no proprietary hardware offloads, the Intel Open FCoE performance scales naturally with the server processor. For real-life applications Open FCoE delivers the performance that IT managers expect. Please review 3rd party performance evaluation by Demartek* of Intel® X520 Server Adapter compared to competitor CNAs
- Ease of Use: Open FCoE approach uses standard 10GbE adapters so IT can leverage existing knowledge to configure and manage the adapters for FCoE deployments and standardize on Intel 10GbE server adapter
- Cost Effectiveness: The intelligent combination of hardware data plane offloads and software initiators enables full CNA functionality but at a fraction of the price
- Reliability: Intel’s 30 years of Ethernet experience combined with certified FCoE initiators enable a reliable Open FCoE solution that just works.
The Intel® Open FCoE solution is supported by leading OEMs and Storage vendors.
Certification Status (Open FCoE Compatibility)
Operating Systems Supported
- Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 SP2 - Standard, DataCenter or Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 R2 - Standard, DataCenter or Enterprise
- Novell SUSE* Linux Enterprise 11, SP1
- Red Hat* Enterprise Linux 6
Look for more FCoE articles in the coming weeks!