Today we announce the arrival of our newest product: the Intel® Ethernet Controller X540
What is it?
The Intel® Ethernet Controller X540 is the next generation of 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) controllers from Intel. Using a 40 nm manufacturing process, the X540 is the first 40 nm, dual-port integrated Media Access Controller/Physical Layer (MAC/PHY) single chip designed for reduced power and package size that is designed for use as a LAN on Motherboard (LOM) network controller. It also powers the Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X540.
- The world’s first fully integrated single chip 10GBASE-T Ethernet Controller specifically optimized to bring 10 GbE networking to server boards as a LOM.
- Designed for LOM in mainstream rack and tower servers. – Support up to 100m over widely implemented Cat 6A cables
- Backwards compatible with existing 1 GbE infrastructure, providing a seamless (or easy) upgrade path to 10GbE
- Provides industry leading features for I/O Virtualization and Storage over Ethernet, including iSCSI and FCoE.
- Low power <12.5 W
- Small package 25 x 25 mm,
- Designed using the latest 40 nm PHY technology with industry-leading integrated Electrical Mechanical Interference/Remedial Frequency Interference (EMI/RFI) filters.
Intel® Ethernet Unified Networking Principles
Intel has delivered high quality Ethernet products for over 30 years, and our Unified Networking solutions are built on the original principles that made us successful in Ethernet:
- Open architecture integrates networking with the server, enabling Information Technology (IT) managers to reduce complexity and overhead while enabling a flexible and scalable data center network.
- Intelligent offloads lower cost and power while delivering the application performance that customers expect.
- Proven Ethernet unified networking is built on trusted Intel Ethernet technology, enabling customers to deploy Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) or Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) while maintaining the quality of their traditional Ethernet networks.
Intel’s unified networking solutions are enabled through a combination of standard Intel® Ethernet products along with trusted network protocols integrated in the operating systems. Thus, unified networking is available on every server either through LOM implementation or via an add-in Converged Network Adapter or Network Interface Card (NIC).