Intel is pleased to announce the availability of the new Intel® Ethernet i350 Server Adapters, Intel’s fifth generation of PCIe Gigabit Ethernet network adapters! Built with the bridgeless Intel® Ethernet Controller i350, these adapters exhibit new energy-efficient technologies including Energy Efficient Ethernet and DMA coalescing. The i350 adapters also support the next step in Gigabit Ethernet networking evolution for the enterprise and data center by introducing new levels of performance through industry-leading enhancements for both virtualized and iSCSI Unified Networking environments.
- Based on the new Intel® Ethernet Controller i350, which integrates four Gigabit Ethernet connections in a single controller, delivering increased performance and lower power. The i350 adapters are ideal for slot-constrained servers providing high performance, reliability, and low power usage in a halogen-free design.
- New Power Management Technologies enable enterprises to get more from their IT assets while consuming less energy. Energy Efficient Ethernet reduces power consumption by negotiating with the switch port to transition to a low power idle state, thereby significantly reducing both controller and switch power. The new Intel® Ethernet Controller i350 is the industry’s first fully integrated quad-port Ethernet controller to support Energy Efficient Ethernet.
- DMA Coalescing reduces platform power by buffering packets in batches, which allows the CPU and other system components to remain in lower power states longer. This enables the adapter to intelligently identify opportunities to batch multiple packets together so that wakened system components can efficiently handle multiple packets at the same time. This can dramatically reduce platform energy consumption. DMAC is synchronized across all four ports of the controller. The new Intel® Ethernet i350 Server Adapters are the industry’s first to support DMA Coalescing.
- The i350 adapter family includes Intel® Virtualization Technology for connectivity (Intel VT-c) to deliver virtualized I/O performance optimizations and Quality of Service (QoS) features designed directly into the controller’s silicon. Both VMDq (Virtual Machine Device queues) and SR-IOV (PCI-SIG single Root I/O Virtualization and Sharing) offload the sorting and queuing functionality to the Ethernet controller, which reduces the data processing bottleneck associated with virtualization.
- Intel’s intelligent offloads enable efficient multi-core performance in standard LAN environments, iSCSI storage connectivity, and virtualized deployments. LAN accelerations include TCP stateless offloads such as TCP/IP checksum, TCP segmentation, Receive Side Coalescing (RSC), and Receive Side Scaling (RSS) - providing maximum flexibility and broad support.
- The onboard Gigabit Ethernet controller delivers wire-rate performance across all packet sizes, including small packets, enabling maximum performance for I/O-intensive environments like network/security appliances, routing, and Cloud applications.
These Server Adapters are recommended replacements for the older Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Adapters: