Intel® 4th Gen Core™ vPro™ Processor &
Intel® Active Management Technology (version 9.0)
Configuration Management Product Implications
Intel® vPro™ Technology
Customers using IT configuration management products with support for Intel® AMT may be affected by a change in version 9.0. Intel® 4th Gen Core™ vPro™ Processors ship with Intel® AMT version 9.0 in 2013.
1. What specifically is different about Intel’s 4th gen Intel® Core™ Processor platforms with Intel® AMT?
Intel’s Core™ Processor Platforms prior to 4th generation with Intel® AMT supported the EOI communication protocol. Starting with Intel® AMT 3.2, an industry standard protocol for out-of-band management was adopted. That protocol is WS-Management (WS-MAN). Intel supported both protocols from Intel® AMT 3.2 until 8.x. Plans to remove the older EOI protocol were stated in 2009 with Intel® AMT 9.x as the first generation that only supports the WS-MAN protocol.
2. How do I know if I am affected?
There are IT configuration management products that have not made the transition to WS-MAN for Intel® AMT. These products may require that the customer perform an upgrade to their configuration management product, to maintain compatibility with new platforms starting with Intel® 4th Gen Core™ vPro™ Processors. Please check with your ISV to see if an upgrade is required to maintain compatibility.
3. How will this change impact customers’ experience?
If a customer is using an IT configuration management product that is not affected, then there is no change to the customer experience. For customers using an IT configuration management product that requires an upgrade, there will be changes to the customers’ business processes.
4. In the meantime, what is the impact with current Intel® vPro™ customers?
Existing Intel® vPro™ Platforms with Intel® AMT that have already been provisioned will continue to be managed with IT configuration management products. Customers with Intel® vPro™ Platforms that have not provisioned Intel® AMT should check with their ISV for specific list of supported Intel® AMT features and prior versions.
5. How will customers be supported?
Customers are encouraged to contact their ISV directly for support.
6. Who can I contact with questions or for more information?
- Intel Customer Support: www.support.intel.com
- For information about: Intel® vPro™ Platforms: www.intel.com/go/vpro