Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Will Intel made a driver that works under Windows 8 for Intel GMA 3600?

idata
Employee

Dear Intel Community,

I have a netbook with Intel Atom N2600 processor, which has Intel GMA 3600. Under the Metro screen in Windows 8, if I try opening an app, Windows 8 crashes. I get VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and Kernel Mode Display driver problem (igdkmd32.sys).

I'm running an external monitor. I use the generic Microsoft display adapter and everything works, but my video resolution is not right. (1600 x 1200 instead of 1920 x 1080) It's stretched.

This is a known issue. My netbook should run Windows 8 under Intel GMA 3600 with the last published driver. However it doesn't. And if I wanted to use just the Netbook alone it's resolution is 1024 x 600 so I can't use Metro. Unless of course I trick it into displaying 1024 x 768 mode, then it works, but it looks all stretched LOL.

Is Intel going to put out a driver for Intel GMA 3600 that works properly for Windows 8? I am dying to know!

(Supposedly from reading virtually every thread on this from forums across the Web, there are tablets with this GMA that won't run Windows 8 even though they were advertised as doing so.)

Please let me know if you have any answer to this question! Thanks. Cheers!

12 Replies
idata
Employee

We can't do nothig 😞 Only hope that Microsoft and Intel released update for generic video drivers via Windows Update

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately Steven, it looks as though Intel have chosen to abandon GMA 3600/3650 users and refuse to give us a working Windows 8 driver, even though Atom N2600 & N2800 tablets and netbooks are still on sale from large high street chains all over the world. Many OEMs and distributors did not get the hint about Intel's u-turn regarding Windows 8 support for cedar trail, so many consumers (myself included) bought tablets and netbooks on the understanding that they would be Windows 8 compatible. We are now left with equipment that cannot be upgraded to the current OS, and have copies of Windows 8 intended for this hardware that we cannot use.

Microsoft does not flag the N2600/N2800 as not compatible with Windows 8 IIRC, and beyond posting the Windows 8 compatibility list, Intel has been completely silent on the topic - you will note that no reps from Intel comment on the GMS 3600 posts here, I suspect this thread will be the same. This, in my view, is fraud. Sure I can blame the OEM I purchased my tablet from for not keeping up to date with the compatibility issues when they published their advert, but I believe they acted in good faith and are as much a victim here as the consumer.

Personally, I do not believe the BS about Intel's deal with PowerVR and them not having access to the driver source code. Intel is one of the most powerful microprocessor manufacturers in the world, they would not have entered into a deal like that. They simply see no profit in providing adequate support for what they consider to be an 'old' product (i.e. one they are not currently trying to push to OEMs).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey. I tried to merge original windows 7 setup drivers for intel 3600 with the setup drivers for the samsung slate for windows 8. But i havn't tested it yet because i have no netbook in hand. (It was my client who asked my help but i cant meet her until next week.) Would you mind if you try this? thank you http://www.mediafire.com/?4j1eeobwe8i1obo Intel_9.14.3.1087.rar

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hello Steven,

Intel® currently has no plans for releasing Windows 8* graphics drivers for GMA 3600.

Thank you,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nic, we need to know why Intel will not produce the GMA 3600 Windows 8 driver. As users, we can then make a descision to stay with Intel or not. As you know, the choices are now increasing in terms of other hardware options.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nic, I have been a long time intel user, and I looked for intel inside this summer when I bought a netbook from BestBuy. I purchased a Gateway LT4004u.. Then I up graded it to windows 8. Now I find out that intel is not compatible with Microsoft. That is just not acceptable. I can understand if I bought this computer years ago, but I purchased it July 2012. Now Less than six month's down the road I find Intel will not update drivers. That is a deal breaker. If this problem is not fixed, it will definitely be the last time I look for intel inside.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I set up another post, look here:

I believe if we all do our part to it, we might be able to get this driver...

Clp
Novice

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/8-news/24-intel-chipset Station-Drivers - Intel (Chipset)

I found this site with the drive of Atom z2760 (clove trail) and i saw that the drive has de same names but i can install them.

Can someone mod this drive to work on GMA3600?

sorry for my english!!!

0 Kudos
MH9
Beginner
0 Kudos
proma3
Beginner

Oh, i see Intel has abandoned support for cursed GMA500 for Windows too. I thought Intel hates linux users only.

I know what you feel, guys. There is no hope in this GMA500 story....

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi everyone,

Intel® will not be making GMA 3600 drivers that support Windows* 8 or Windows* 8.1.

Thank you,

-Nic

0 Kudos