Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20788 Discussions

Problem setting two screens with dvi-to-vga adapter

idata
Employee

I have a internal Intel HD Graphics 2000 on my computer which has a VGA and DVI port on it.

So, I need to work with two screens (not duplicated, but work as an extension) and I got this VGA-to-DVI adapter because my other screen only has VGA output (it's a Samsung SyncMaster 732N - both of them are).

And everything is plugged in, two monitors and its cables are working (I checked), but it's not showing anything, when I go to video settings, it's not showing a second monitor and it's not detecting.

When I push menu button on the black screen monitor, it says "test good".

Any idea what happened? ,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Breno,

You've properly connected both monitors, one via VGA->DVI adapter, and it's not showing the other monitor. Have you enabled the monitor in the Intel® Graphics and Media Control Panel™?

Hit Ctrl + Alt + F12 to open the Intel® GMCP. Go to the 'Display' tab -> 'Multiple Displays'. Change the operating mode to 'Extended', and make sure both your primary and secondary displays are selected as your two monitors. Hit 'Apply' and see if the other monitor decides to come to life.

Let me know if you are still having this issue!

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Nic,

thanks, but I am not able to do that. It's showing only one monitor, it says there's no other device found.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Can you provide for me the following information please;

-What operating system do you have installed?

-Is it 64 or 32 bit?

-What CPU are you using?

-What display adapter driver do you have installed?

Also; if you just have one monitor connected, using the VGA->DVI adapter (the other monitor is not connected), do you get a display?

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits (Service Pack 1) with Intel HD Graphics 2000 (I downloaded all the latest drivers here in the Intel site - 9.17.10.2875 - Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7).

I don't have other video board. It's an Intel Core i3-21210 CPU @3.3GHz

The other monitor display is just black, the power button keeps blinking. It's two Samsung SyncMaster 732N.

That's the adapter I bought (http://www.tech-faq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dvi-to-vga-adapter.jpg http://www.tech-faq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dvi-to-vga-adapter.jpg)

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the info Breno. What I mean to ask though; if you only use just one monitor, using the VGA->DVI adapter + cable - does it work or no?

0 Kudos